Skoda Karoq: UK specs and prices
Key spec differences separate UK Skoda Karoqs from those on sale elsewhere. We find out why
We do certain things differently in the UK. From driving on the left-hand side of the road to our love of tech and gadgets, as well as practicality, Brits make for picky car buyers. So if you’re a manufacturer and want your new model to succeed here, you’d better have made some adjustments to suit our roads, as well as the driving and passenger habits UK motorists have.
“The factory will prepare for us a base car and we will then decide what enhancements or additions we want to make,” Snowden explained. “So different markets will have a different take on the car. You’ll obviously get some overlap, but there will be unique points in the different markets, including the UK.” For example, Edition trim for the Karoq has been specially designed for the UK. “We looked at the Kodiaq and saw that 50 per cent of buyers went for the Edition model, so we continued this with the Karoq,” said Snowden. “The Edition is a special trim for UK.”
This top-of-the range specification includes 19-inch wheels as standard, plus a bigger 9.2-inch infotainment system complete with gesture control, and a panoramic roof and ambient lighting, on top of other kit.
“We started out looking at the SE L and saw that a lot of people were adding premium features as options,” Snowden added. “We were keen to add value for our buyers, so we created the Edition trim that has many of the popular options included. Of course, the purchase price of the Edition trim is lower than if you were to buy the SE L with the same options.”
The reason Skoda created the Edition trim for the UK is partly down to the way Brits buy cars today. “What makes the UK market different is the prevalence of car finance here,” Snowden said. “Around 80 per cent of new cars are bought on finance, so there is a lot more focus on residual values compared to other countries, like the Czech Republic, where buyers more often buy with cash and keep the cars for longer.”
He explained that Skoda had consulted with various finance experts to understand which options increase a car’s value at the end of a finance contract. The theory is that the stronger the residual values, the lower the monthly payments are on a typical personal contract purchase (PCP) deal.
“This is partly why we’ve got things like 19-inch alloy wheels, a panoramic roof and a bigger infotainment system as standard on the Edition model,” Snowden told us. “We know these help with used values.”
But you don’t have to go for the range-topping spec to benefit from Skoda’s consideration of UK buyers with the Karoq. Many of the neat boot features, including the magnetic LED torch, boot hooks and two-sided floor mat with a rubber finish on one side, come as standard in the Karoq. “We also made the decision to include the table trays behind the two front seats as standard for UK buyers,” Snowden explained. “Other markets don’t have these features as standard but we decided to do so for the UK.”
So, while the Karoq you drive was built far away at the Mlada Boleslav factory in the Czech Republic, it’s been made with buyers here firmly in mind.
Buying your car on a finance deal? Read our guide to help save money…
Skoda Karoq uncovered
More in our in-depth look at Skoda's new SUV...
- New Skoda Karoq uncovered
- Skoda Karoq: design
- Skoda Karoq: engines and technical development
- Skoda Karoq: interior design and practicality
- Skoda Karoq: LED lighting technology
- Skoda Karoq: UK specs and prices
- Skoda Karoq meets its customers
- 10 things you didn't know about the Skoda Karoq
- Buy a Skoda Karoq online
- 1IntroductionSkoda’s new Karoq SUV is one of 2018’s most exciting new cars - our special feature charts its journey from concept to production
- 2DesignThe Karoq follows the success of the Kodiaq with another striking look. We learn how it evolved
- 3Engines and technical developmentChristian Strube and Dr Martin Hrdlicka talk us through the Skoda Karoq development process from sketchbook to showroom
- 4Interior design and practicalityWe find out if the new Skoda Karoq has the neat, practical touches to handle everyday family life
- 5LED lighting technologyThe Karoq is available with full-LED lighting tech, and as we find out, the intelligent system enhances safety
- 6UK specs and prices - currently readingKey spec differences separate UK Skoda Karoqs from those on sale elsewhere. We find out why
- 7Meet the customersOur reader jury test team casts a critical eye over the replacement for the Skoda Yeti
- 810 things you didn't know about the Skoda KaroqThink you know everything about the Skoda Karoq? Think again...
- 9Skoda Karoq: 1,500-mile road test We test the new Skoda Karoq to the limit, packing it with kit and driving it across Europe from its Czech home to the UK
- 10Buy a Skoda Karoq onlineWe visit Skoda’s Live Tour, the online showroom helping people get an insight into the Karoq