We put 200 tyres to the test to reveal the best rubber on the market for your car
Four small patches of rubber – that’s all that keeps you and your car safe. But when buying tyres, many of us just look at the price.
That’s why Auto Express has consistently led the way in magazine tyre testing, so drivers can ensure they not only get the rubber that suits their pocket but which performs well, too. A brief trawl through online car forums will find a lot of talk on tyres, yet the only way to see which is best is to drive them back-to-back in the same car and on an identical road. Our verdict is not the result of a spin round the block...
This year, we’ve tested our biggest and fastest tyre ever – 225/45 R 17, with a W or Y speed rating (up to 168mph and 186mph). This is the rubber found on everything from family saloons to hot hatches and high-performance machines. As always, we wanted to see how associate and budget brands matched up to the big names, so we gathered 16 products from all sections of the market, including a first from China. All tests were carried out by Auto Express drivers where possible at Michelin’s test facility in Clermont-Ferrand, France. To ensure the tyres we were sent were the same as those you can buy, we purchased three sets at random, and compared wet braking performance – this shows any differences in compound or construction. All were the same as supplied.
Over the next eight pages, we reveal the results in eight categories, with the winner in each ranked at 100 per cent, and the rest rated relevant to that. So, which is our champion?
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingWe put 200 tyres to the test to reveal the best rubber on the market for your car
- 2Code BreakerWe explain the baffling array of information on the sidewall of tyres.
- 3The Total Tyre GuideThere's never been a buyer's guide as comprehensive as this…
- 4BrakingBringing your car to a halt in the shortest time possible is essential.
- 5AquaplaningHow quickly do the top tyres lose control in severe wet conditions?
- 6Wet handlingFinding a tyre you’re happy with in the damp, rain-lashed UK is vital.
- 7Dry handlingOur tyres are pushed to the limit on track – but which performed best?
- 8Tyre noiseWhich tyres are the loudest?
- 9CostWhich tyres will hit your wallet?
- 10Tailor madeWhat goes into producing the tyres for your car?
- 11Tyre guideWe now have our verdict. Here are the winners and losers
- 12Tyre testingHow do you make sure your tyres go the distance?
- 13FitmentDrivers are faced with a huge choice when fitting new tyres
- 14Tyre guideOur experts clear up the big tyre issues raised by readers...