The Total Tyre Guide
There's never been a buyer's guide as comprehensive as this…
Even the industry's specialist engineers can't tell how well a tyre performs just by looking at the tread, no matter how dramatic the water-shifting pattern. And as we have proved before in our product tests, a top name does not guarantee top performance.
Nor is price or reputation a determining factor. That's why Auto Express leads the way among UK magazines in giving you all the information to pick the right rubber for you, your car and your budget. Each year we test at least one popular size to let you make an informed decision when buying.
This year is no exception, as we have gone for one of the biggest-selling 16-inch tyres in the UK — 215/55R16 — with either V– or W–speed rating (up to 150 and 168mph).
We put 16 big brands to the test at Bridgestone's proving ground just south of Rome in Italy. A number of different assessments were carried out in the wet and dry, and our scoring system was simple. In each category the winner was ranked at 100 per cent, with the others rated relative to this depending on performance.
All tyres were supplied by the makers, but to ensure what we were sent are the same as you can buy, we bought four sets at random, and tested them back-to-back on the wet braking strip, which reveals major differences in construction or compound. So which is the one for your car?
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe put 200 tyres to the test to reveal the best rubber on the market for your car
- 2Code BreakerWe explain the baffling array of information on the sidewall of tyres.
- 3The Total Tyre Guide - currently readingThere's never been a buyer's guide as comprehensive as this…
- 4BrakingBringing your car to a halt in the shortest time possible is essential.
- 5AquaplaningHow quickly do the top tyres lose control in severe wet conditions?
- 6Wet handlingFinding a tyre you’re happy with in the damp, rain-lashed UK is vital.
- 7Dry handlingOur tyres are pushed to the limit on track – but which performed best?
- 8Tyre noiseWhich tyres are the loudest?
- 9CostWhich tyres will hit your wallet?
- 10Tailor madeWhat goes into producing the tyres for your car?
- 11Tyre guideWe now have our verdict. Here are the winners and losers
- 12Tyre testingHow do you make sure your tyres go the distance?
- 13FitmentDrivers are faced with a huge choice when fitting new tyres
- 14Tyre guideOur experts clear up the big tyre issues raised by readers...