Used Toyota Yaris (Mk3, 2011-2020) review - What do owners think?
Toyota has a reputation for reliability and the Mk3 Yaris backs this up
The Yaris Mk3 came 58th in our Driver Power 2018 new car survey and 33rd in a recent used car poll. In the latter the car got a thumbs up from owners for low running costs, reliability and infotainment. It didn’t score especially badly in any area, but the attributes that drivers liked the least were practicality and ride/handling.
One area where the Toyota Yaris will excel is reliability. That’s not really surprising, because despite a handful of high-profile recalls, the brand has a first-class reputation for building cars that will run and run.
A year later, the third-generation Yaris ranked 59th out of 150 cars in the Auto Express Driver Power 2019 satisfaction survey – one down from the previous year, but still a fairly respectable result. It achieved high scores for reliability and running costs, with owners criticising the car for performance, seat comfort and practicality.
Toyota finished an impressive 5th out of 29 in the Driver Power 2021 survey of manufacturers, with a score of 88 per cent. Only Porsche, Kia, Tesla and Mazda finished higher than Toyota, which ranked higher than its premium sister brand Lexus in 10th.
The manufacturer earned a solid score in the engine and gearbox category, with equally good ratings for acceleration, engine note and gearbox smoothness. Owners tell us their Toyotas are well built and prove reliable as well.
Additionally, Toyota beats every other brand in the survey when it comes to fuel economy, helped, no doubt, by its wide range of hybrid models. All other running costs, including servicing and insurance are also low.
If you've owned a Toyota Yaris, or any other car, tell us about it in the Driver Power car customer satisfaction survey and help fellow car buyers find the best car for them...
In this review
- 1Used Toyota Yaris (Mk3, 2011-2020) reviewRivals beat the Toyota Yaris for fun driving and quality feel, but the Toyota is a practical and reliable supermini
- 2How much will it cost?Efficiency is definitely the trump card of this little Toyota – all versions are impressively affordable to run
- 3How practical is it?With its Tardis-like interior, the Toyota Yaris serves up plenty of space for passengers and luggage alike
- 4What’s it like to drive?It’s comfortable and competent around town, but (with the notable exception of the GRMN version) the Yaris isn’t exactly thrilling to drive on the open road
- 5What should you look out for?A strong reputation for reliability makes the Toyota Yaris a safe bet
- 6What do owners think? - currently readingToyota has a reputation for reliability and the Mk3 Yaris backs this up