New Car Awards 2014: Design Award
The Volvo Concept Estate wins this year's Auto Express Design Award, voted for by you
The public has spoken – and voted the Volvo Concept Estate as the most stylish car of the past 12 months. Visitors to our website picked this classy car ahead of some seriously desirable metal, such as the BMW i8, the Jaguar F-Type Coupe and the wild Maserati Alfieri concept.
Volvo is in the process of revamping its brand, and it says a lot that the main message it wanted to get across is that its sense of style is back. The way the company did that was by unveiling three separate concepts at consecutive motor shows, with the Concept Estate last to appear at Geneva back in March.
It followed on from the two-door Concept Coupe and crossover-style Concept XC, but you fell in love most with the Concept Estate simply because it’s the most traditionally ‘Volvo’, harking back to the gorgeous P1800 ES of the seventies.
The man behind the show car, senior vice president of design Thomas Ingenlath, explained: “The 1800 models are iconic Volvos, renowned for their beautiful forms and detailing. However, using elements from their exterior and interior has nothing to do with being retro. We are using these subtle links to a glorious past to create a future in which sheer beauty becomes a recognised part of Volvo’s identity.”
Ingenlath is hinting at the fact that the Concept Estate is actually a clear look at the styling of the next-generation XC90, which is due to appear at October’s Paris Motor Show. The bold, wide, upright grille, the gently curving body panels and those shapely tail-lights are all features we’ll see on the big SUV when it hits dealers next year.
In fact, that front end is set to become the face of all Volvos in the near future. And judging by the sheer number of you who voted for it, this is a look we can expect to see a lot more of on Britain’s roads.
As ever, our design award was decided by Auto Express readers – and you voted in your thousands. The Volvo was a clear winner, beating the Land Rover Discovery Vision concept into second and the Jaguar F-Type Coupe into third. And you were glowing in your praise for the car. User ‘Albert’ summed up the thoughts of many when he told us: “This is a really stylish design. Volvo, you must build this car!”
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year The Porsche Macan is the 2014 Auto Express small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Range Rover Evoque commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year The Hyundai Santa Fe is the 2014 Auto Express large SUV of the Year, with the Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year The Volkswagen Amarok is the 2014 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and SsangYong Korando Sport commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and VW Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2014 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series Convertible and Porsche 911 Cab commended