Auto Express Hall of Fame
As part of the annual Auto Express New Car Awards, here is our Hall of Fame for outstanding figures in motoring
Hall of fame 2014
Stephen Odell, President Ford Europe, Middle East & Africa
Ford's Stephen Odell topped this year’s Auto Express Brit List, and so is inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame. Odell has spent 34 years with Ford, working in the UK, Germany and the US, and has also held a senior role with Mazda in Japan and been CEO of Volvo in Gothenburg.
Now he heads up Ford’s operations in Europe, the Middle East and Africa and has taken tough decisions that have helped to put the company back on track towards profitability. “Our guidance remains that in 2015, with the product we have coming and a moderate improvement in the market, we’ll be back in the black,” he told us.
Dr Ralf Speth, CEO, Jaguar Land Rover
This year we extended our Brit List to include foreign nationals working in the UK car industry. A clear winner, and also inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame, was Jaguar Land Rover’s CEO Dr Ralf Speth.
Since taking the helm at JLR in 2010, Speth has overseen phenomenal growth of the premium UK car brands, with a raft of new products resulting in record sales and profit. Over 15,000 new jobs have been created in the UK, while if you take into account the whole supply chain, Jaguar Land Rover is responsible for the wellbeing of more than 200,000 people.
Over the past year alone, £3.5bn has been spent on product research and development, with £500m on a new plant in Wolverhampton making engines for the forthcoming Jaguar XE and Land Rover Discovery Sport.
The Hall of Fame
• Stephen Odell, Ford
• Ralf Speth, Jaguar Land Rover
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year The Porsche Macan is the 2014 Auto Express small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Range Rover Evoque commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year The Hyundai Santa Fe is the 2014 Auto Express large SUV of the Year, with the Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year The Volkswagen Amarok is the 2014 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and SsangYong Korando Sport commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and VW Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2014 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series Convertible and Porsche 911 Cab commended