BMW board member inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame
This year’s entrant into the Auto Express Hall of Fame not only topped the 2013 Auto Express Brit List, he’s also the only Brit to sit on the main board of one of the most famous and successful car companies in the world – BMW.
Like so many top Brits, Ian Robertson began his career at Longbridge with Rover, taking in Land Rover before the company was bought by BMW.
His first overseas posting was to run the German marque’s operation in South Africa, until he was called back to Europe, initially to head up Rolls-Royce as chairman and chief exec, then joining the BMW main board with responsibility for sales and marketing.
The UK plays a big part in BMW’s world, no doubt with a gentle nudge from Robertson. As well as keeping a watchful eye on manufacturing at BMW’s Hams Hall engine plant and the MINI factory in Oxford, he played a key role in BMW’s successful sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympics.
And 2013 is set to be an even bigger year for Robertson and BMW with the launch of BMW i – the brand’s future mobility programme. It includes two stunning new electric cars: the i3 hatch and i8 supercar.
BMW i is about more than just the cars – it’s about mobile solutions that include bikes, charging points and apps. And Robertson has been championing a new way of selling them, too, through bespoke BMW i showrooms. The first one is already open in, yes, you guessed it, London.
At 55 years of age, Robertson’s career is still on the up – he’s set to influence the cars we drive for many years to come yet.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover
- 11Best Compact SUVThe Range Rover Evoque is one of the most striking cars on the road – but it's also more than just a pretty face
- 12Best Large SUVThe talented Santa Fe is one of the best models Hyundai has ever produced
- 13Best Hot HatchThe Ford Fiesta ST is in a class of its own – and better value for money than its key rivals
- 14Best CoupeThe brilliant Porsche Cayman pips its big brother - the 911 – and three-time winner the Peugeot RCZ to the Best Coupe prize
- 15Best RoadsterThe new Porsche Boxster is so good it makes you question why anyone would every buy a 911
- 16Best ConvertibleWith funky looks, premium quality and low running costs – frivolity has never been so sensible. Or so desirable
- 17Best Pick-upWith decent handling, comfort levels and build quality, the VW Amarok is a cut above its rivals
- 18Best Compact Executive CarThe 3 Series continues its undisputed reign as king of the compact executive class
- 19Best Executive CarBMW 5 Series fends off some impressive German rivals to take the executive class crown
- 20Best Luxury CarAs a 4x4, an SUV and a luxury car, the Range Rover is jack of all trades. But it's a master of all trades, too
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe entertaining GT 86 outguns a host of big-name sports cars to take Performance Car of the Year
- 22Design Award The latest incarnation of the iconic Range Rover is voted by Auto Express readers as the best designed car of 2013
- 23Green AwardThe Vauxhall Ampera's innovative range-extending powertrain wins it our Green Award
- 24Van of the YearOur Van of the Year is hi-tech, practical and the first van in its class to get a five-star crash test rating
- 25Safety AwardThe Volvo V40 is probably the safest car ever made, and a worthy winner of our Safety Award
- 26Driver Power AwardThe Japanese premium brand has reclaimed its Driver Power top spot for the first time in four years
- 27Hall of Fame - currently readingBMW board member inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame