Skoda Octavia Estate
Offering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
Successive generations of the Skoda Octavia Estate have established it as a supremely practical and spacious family car, and the all-new model sticks to this winning formula.
The Octavia also offers huge value for money. Priced to compete with compact family cars, it provides as much interior space as those in the class above.
Some thoughtful touches also help to make the Octavia a pleasure to live with, including luggage nets, storage cubbies and a false boot floor.
However, our Best Estate Car prize isn’t just about practicality. We think the Skoda’s stylish lines make it the most attractive version of the Octavia yet.
The latest range of engines also addresses the biggest weakness of the outgoing Estate by offering excellent performance allied to low CO2 emissions – the forthcoming eco-tuned GreenLine model records just 89g/km.
If you want pace rather than efficiency, the 217bhp vRS petrol should fit the bill. It promises to sprint from 0-62mph in 6.8 seconds, while the 181bhp diesel will be popular with go-faster family and business drivers.
Our choice: 2.0 TDI SE (£20,940) Simple is best here. We think that the 2.0 TDI SE is the Skoda Octavia Estate to go for. It’s fast, frugal and gets excellent equipment, making it brilliant value.
The 5 Series Touring is a classy estate with handsome lines and a beautiful interior, while the cavernous load bay can take everything a family can throw at it. Better still, it’s great to drive, with efficient and powerful engines.
Last year’s champ has had to give best to its younger brother in 2013, but the aptly named Superb still makes plenty of sense. Its vast 633-litre boot is one of the biggest in the business, while the cabin has limousine-rivalling legroom.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate Car - currently readingOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover
- 11Best Compact SUVThe Range Rover Evoque is one of the most striking cars on the road – but it's also more than just a pretty face
- 12Best Large SUVThe talented Santa Fe is one of the best models Hyundai has ever produced
- 13Best Hot HatchThe Ford Fiesta ST is in a class of its own – and better value for money than its key rivals
- 14Best CoupeThe brilliant Porsche Cayman pips its big brother - the 911 – and three-time winner the Peugeot RCZ to the Best Coupe prize
- 15Best RoadsterThe new Porsche Boxster is so good it makes you question why anyone would every buy a 911