The most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
The Auto Express Car of the Year has to be a class leader in its own right, so any model capable of putting the combined might of the BMW 1 Series, Skoda Octavia and VW Golf in the shade was always going to be in with a good shout when it came to the big one.
The new Leon takes the best elements of its VW Group stablemates and improves on them. This award-winning recipe combines the space and interior quality of the Golf with the affordability and solidity of the Octavia. Add SEAT’s typically sporty handling and a healthy slug of Latin styling flair, and you have a compact family car to trump them all.
Want something practical and frugal? SEAT has the answer. Want to go fast and look good? Look no further. From fuel miser to full-on hot hatch, there’s a Leon catering to every taste, and they all come with attractive price tags and plenty of kit.
Such a strong blend of talents makes this car the best all-rounder in the compact family class. Winning Car of the Year can be a burden, because it can be hard to live up to future expectations, but SEAT should have few worries. With the sleek, three-door Leon SC model now available and the ST estate waiting in the wings, this won’t be a one-hit wonder.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the Year - currently readingThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover