Range Rover Evoque
The Range Rover Evoque is one of the most striking cars on the road – but it's also more than just a pretty face
Fashion is a funny thing. Last year’s hot property can very often find itself relegated to the bargain bin 12 months down the line – but that’s not been an issue for the Range Rover Evoque.
The car that spearheaded the British brand’s resurgence three years ago has now racked up a trio of Best Compact SUV wins at our New Car Awards, turning the old theory about fashions coming and going on its head.
The Evoque’s lasting appeal is down to the fact that its talents run more than skin deep. Under the striking body and desirable badge lies a very capable car. Whether you want a low-CO2 2WD version aimed at company car drivers, or a powerful 4WD that can cope with very tough off-road duties, there’s an Evoque for you.
A wide range of personalisation options, a reasonably practical interior and a highly engaging driving experience complete the picture. It’s become a familiar sight on the UK’s roads, but unlike many modern cars, it can still create a stir.
Onlookers swivel their heads when they see an Evoque, and its tall body, distinctive cabin design and slim windows create a unique atmosphere inside. It’s not exactly cheap or frugal, but the Evoque’s star shines as brightly as ever and doesn’t look like it’s going to fade any time soon.
OUR CHOICE: 2.2 eD4 Pure (£29,200) Company car buyers will appreciate the efficiency and value provided by this brilliant model – it has an official CO2 output figure of just 133g/km.
Great to drive, affordable to run and easy to live with – that’s the BMW X3 in a nutshell. There are more exciting options, but this is the pragmatic choice at the top end of the class.
Don't be fooled by the budget price and unfamiliar badge: the Dacia Duster is a genuine contender. It looks great, comes with proven mechanicals and a spacious cabin, while the ownership experience is hassle-free.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover
- 11Best Compact SUV - currently readingThe Range Rover Evoque is one of the most striking cars on the road – but it's also more than just a pretty face
- 12Best Large SUVThe talented Santa Fe is one of the best models Hyundai has ever produced
- 13Best Hot HatchThe Ford Fiesta ST is in a class of its own – and better value for money than its key rivals
- 14Best CoupeThe brilliant Porsche Cayman pips its big brother - the 911 – and three-time winner the Peugeot RCZ to the Best Coupe prize
- 15Best RoadsterThe new Porsche Boxster is so good it makes you question why anyone would every buy a 911
- 16Best ConvertibleWith funky looks, premium quality and low running costs – frivolity has never been so sensible. Or so desirable
- 17Best Pick-upWith decent handling, comfort levels and build quality, the VW Amarok is a cut above its rivals
- 18Best Compact Executive CarThe 3 Series continues its undisputed reign as king of the compact executive class
- 19Best Executive CarBMW 5 Series fends off some impressive German rivals to take the executive class crown
- 20Best Luxury CarAs a 4x4, an SUV and a luxury car, the Range Rover is jack of all trades. But it's a master of all trades, too
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe entertaining GT 86 outguns a host of big-name sports cars to take Performance Car of the Year
- 22Design Award The latest incarnation of the iconic Range Rover is voted by Auto Express readers as the best designed car of 2013
- 23Green AwardThe Vauxhall Ampera's innovative range-extending powertrain wins it our Green Award
- 24Van of the YearOur Van of the Year is hi-tech, practical and the first van in its class to get a five-star crash test rating
- 25Safety AwardThe Volvo V40 is probably the safest car ever made, and a worthy winner of our Safety Award
- 26Driver Power AwardThe Japanese premium brand has reclaimed its Driver Power top spot for the first time in four years
- 27Hall of FameBMW board member inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame