Range Rover Evoque
The Range Rover Evoque is one of the most striking cars on the road – but it's also more than just a pretty face
Fashion is a funny thing. Last year’s hot property can very often find itself relegated to the bargain bin 12 months down the line – but that’s not been an issue for the Range Rover Evoque.
The car that spearheaded the British brand’s resurgence three years ago has now racked up a trio of Best Compact SUV wins at our New Car Awards, turning the old theory about fashions coming and going on its head.
The Evoque’s lasting appeal is down to the fact that its talents run more than skin deep. Under the striking body and desirable badge lies a very capable car. Whether you want a low-CO2 2WD version aimed at company car drivers, or a powerful 4WD that can cope with very tough off-road duties, there’s an Evoque for you.
A wide range of personalisation options, a reasonably practical interior and a highly engaging driving experience complete the picture. It’s become a familiar sight on the UK’s roads, but unlike many modern cars, it can still create a stir.
Onlookers swivel their heads when they see an Evoque, and its tall body, distinctive cabin design and slim windows create a unique atmosphere inside. It’s not exactly cheap or frugal, but the Evoque’s star shines as brightly as ever and doesn’t look like it’s going to fade any time soon.
OUR CHOICE: 2.2 eD4 Pure (£29,200) Company car buyers will appreciate the efficiency and value provided by this brilliant model – it has an official CO2 output figure of just 133g/km.
Great to drive, affordable to run and easy to live with – that’s the BMW X3 in a nutshell. There are more exciting options, but this is the pragmatic choice at the top end of the class.
Don't be fooled by the budget price and unfamiliar badge: the Dacia Duster is a genuine contender. It looks great, comes with proven mechanicals and a spacious cabin, while the ownership experience is hassle-free.
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best SuperminiThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover