The Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
The Ford Fiesta is back! After 12 months away from the top step of the supermini podium, the Fiesta has returned to its dominant best.
When we announced the Peugeot 208 as last year’s winner, we knew it would have a job on its hands to retain the trophy – and so it proved.
Having slipped down the pecking order, the big-selling Ford was treated to a raft of revisions, and the result is the best supermini bar none.
The visual changes are the most obvious differences, but the really interesting additions are under the bonnet, where you now have the option of a fantastic three-cylinder 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine. It’s available with a range of power outputs, but whichever version you choose, this engine punches way above its weight – delivering a fine combination of smooth performance and excellent economy.
And none of this has upset the car’s brilliant handling, which still sets the standard at this end of the market.
Other new features introduced as part of the latest round of improvements include Ford’s clever SYNC voice control system and the novel MyKey device, which lets worried parents set maximum limits for the volume of the stereo and even top speed to boost safety.
A practical and attractively styled interior, five-star Euro NCAP safety rating and the promise of affordable running costs all help to make the Ford a compelling supermini choice. On this evidence, its status as Britain’s best-selling new car looks set to continue for a good while yet.
OUR CHOICE: 1.0T EcoBoost Zetec 5dr (£14,345) There isn’t a bad Fiesta in the range. But if you want the best blend of pace, efficiency, value and fun, the 1.0 EcoBoost Zetec is the one to go for.
Last year’s top supermini is deposed. We still love the 208’s smart looks and value, but here it’s facing one of the best cars around. Still, Peugeot will be pleased to see it beat the new Renault Clio...
- 1Introduction18 class winners, 36 commended cars, 8 Special Awards and the 2013 Auto Express Car of the Year – it's all here
- 2Car of the YearThe most coveted accolade in the world of motoring goes to the SEAT Leon
- 3Best City CarThe Skoda Citigo retains its Best City Car crown thanks to a combination of comfort, low running costs and superb on-road ability
- 4Best Supermini - currently readingThe Ford Fiesta wrestles its way back onto the top of the podium after last year's loss to the 208
- 5Best Compact Family CarThe SEAT Leon fights off its fellow VW Group rivals to take the gold medal in one of the most competitive classes around
- 6Best Family CarThe new Mazda 6 sees of all-comers to take family car class honours
- 7Best Estate CarOffering peerless practicality, huge value for money and attractive lines, the Skoda Octavia is the best Estate on the market
- 8Best Five-Seat MPVFord's innovative small MPV pips its big brother – the C-MAX – to the Best Five-seat MPV award
- 9Best MPVFor the third year in a row, the SEAT Alhambra wins the Auto Express Best MPV award
- 10Best CrossoverThe Mazda CX-5 is a talented all-rounder that offers everything you could want from a crossover