MPV of the Year 2019: Citroen Berlingo XL
The Citroen Berlingo XL is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer and Renault Grand Scenic commended
If space is key to your next new car purchase, the Citroen Berlingo XL is a clear winner. It’s a valuable commodity in the people-carrier sector, so there are few better platforms on which to base an MPV than one that also works well as a van.
But that’s certainly not to do the Berlingo down, because the EMP2 architecture that underpins it is also put to good use in much more premium models, such as sister brand Peugeot’s 3008 SUV and 508 fastback. That makes the Berlingo surprisingly refined for such a spacious and value-focused model.
Plenty of thought has gone into the interior. There’s lots of storage, infotainment from Citroen’s car range and sliding doors to aid access, but it’s the seven-seat set-up and masses of passenger room and luggage space in this XL version that make it such a strong choice. The middle-row seats slide and can be folded individually, while the two chairs in the very back fold completely flat into the floor to reveal a cavernous 3,500 litres of space, according to Citroen.
While the 118bhp diesel engine delivers better performance, the 101bhp 1.5-litre BlueHDi offers adequate grunt, impressive efficiency and will be cheaper to buy and run.
Citroen Berlingo XL 1.5 BlueHDi 100 Flair (£24,230)
By saving on the engine, we’d spend a little more and go for Flair trim to boost practicality. You get parking sensors, an eight-inch touchscreen with sat-nav, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, air-con, and some good safety tech as standard – important in a family-mover.
Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer
Citroen’s more stylish MPV isn’t quite as spacious as the Berlingo XL, but if you don’t want to sacrifice style too much, this should be your choice. Efficient engines, solid tech and good refinement make the package.
Renault Grand Scenic
All Grand Scenics come on 20-inch wheels to ensure Renault’s MPV never looks anything other than on point. But its talents don’t stop there: it offers space for seven, flexible storage and a decent driving experience.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended