Mid-size SUV of the Year 2019: Skoda Karoq
The Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
Skoda is known for cars that are great value for money and very practical, and the Karoq fits that description perfectly. It’s not just those qualities that handed it the win in this category, though – it’s also because it’s an amazing all-rounder.
The Karoq is more grown-up than the Yeti that came before it, with a high-quality cabin, good refinement and plenty of hi-tech kit. The infotainment system is modern-looking and easy to use, but also packed with features, including smartphone connectivity.
There’s a wide choice of turbocharged petrol and diesel engines that are familiar from elsewhere in the VW Group range, including the solid 1.5 TSI, which mixes efficiency and performance very well.
Choose the six-speed manual if you want to save some money and enjoy changing gear yourself – it’s a slick gearbox and good to use – or go for the DSG automatic if you want to leave shifting to the car.
There are also 4x4 versions and more powerful engines to choose from. However, although the Karoq is perfectly good enough off road, it’s much better on tarmac, thanks to its comfortable suspension set-up, precise steering and good visibility.
The Karoq has all the versatility and practicality you’d expect, too. In fact, it’s one of the best in its class in that regard, because the rear bench can slide forwards or backwards to create more boot or passenger space, depending on your needs. This VarioFlex set-up is standard on SE L trim cars and above, so there’s between 479 and 588 litres of boot space on offer, as well as 1,810 litres when the seats are folded. It’s just another of Skoda’s thoughtful touches that make living with a car easy. This is what SUVs are for, and the Karoq nails the brief easily.
Comfortable seats and a well built interior mean that long trips are easy, and the intuitive, tech-laden infotainment system takes some of the stress out of driving, too. The Karoq is quiet inside on the motorway, because the engine noise doesn’t intrude into the cabin, so there’s refinement to complement the mature road manners.
Skoda Karoq 1.5 TSI SE (£23,295)
Whichever model of Karoq you go for, you get the same excellent practicality and relaxed driving experience, with the 1.5-litre petrol engine offering a good mix of performance and efficiency. SE spec comes with an eight-inch colour touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, so you can use your phone for sat-nav.
The 3008 is a previous winner in this class and is still a top choice. It offers plenty of practicality to go with its stylish looks, which are arguably more interesting than the Karoq’s, and it has a decent engine range, too. It’s packed with the latest technology, including Peugeot’s i-Cockpit display behind the steering wheel that can show sat-nav directions and more.
Toyota actually has two solid offerings in this segment now, because the RAV4 joined the C-HR this year. The former is larger, so it offers more practicality, and nudges ahead as a result. There’s loads of room in the back seats and the 580-litre boot is nearly as big as the Karoq’s, despite the efficient hybrid powertrain taking up some underfloor space.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the Year - currently readingThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended