Estate Car of the Year 2019: Skoda Octavia Estate
The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
A mid-life facelift brought updated styling and a more advanced infotainment set-up – and it’s the Estate’s practicality, combined with its up-to-date tech and calm driving experience, that helps it take the prize here again.
With 610 litres of space in the boot with the rear seats in place, and a cavernous 1,740 litres if you fold them down, the Octavia’s luggage capacity is bigger than its rivals’, and as a result it can offer even more flexibility than larger estates from the class above. It’s designed with versatility in mind, and the big hatch and wide boot opening mean that loading and unloading should be a simple task.
Its range of three and four-cylinder engines – including the excellent 1.5-litre TSI petrol unit – is another highlight. The petrols are smooth and quiet, but the punchy diesel options still work well for long-distance hauling because of their better economy and greater engine torque, which means they’re even better at shifting heavy loads.
You can choose from a slick manual gearbox or a DSG dual-clutch automatic – and whichever you go for, the Octavia is good to drive. Its steering is light and precise, which gives lots of confidence, and there’s plenty of grip.
It’s very composed, too. The suspension set-up is on the softer side, which means longer trips and motorway journeys are relaxed, so passengers should be happy. In addition, the Octavia’s infotainment system is right up there with the best in the class, with well-implemented smartphone connectivity and a clear, responsive screen.
The Skoda combines its many talents to great effect but it’s the Octavia Estate’s value for money that turns it from a good car into a great one. With prices starting from £19,515, it’s among the cheaper cars in its class, yet it has all the equipment you’d want as standard. Even entry-level S versions get air-con, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Skoda Octavia Estate1.5 TSI 150 SE L (£24,175)
The 1.5-litre petrol engine is our pick of the Octavia Estate range. With 148bhp, it’s punchy and will have enough grunt to lug a full complement of people and luggage, yet it’s also quiet and smooth. Pick SE L trim and there’s plenty of kit on offer, including autonomous braking and satellite navigation.
BMW 5 Series Touring
The 5 Series Touring is a superb choice. With a 570-litre boot, it’s very practical and still has all the same premium appeal and hi-tech kit as the saloon. We’d choose the 520d for its excellent mix of performance, refinement and economy. The Touring’s split tailgate also makes loading more convenient.
The V60 is a far cry from the boxy Volvo estate cars of old – it’s stylish and upmarket, with a superb interior and a comfortable ride. It’s refined, too, has a great infotainment set-up, and with a 529-litre boot, it’s practical enough to cut it with our other award-winning estates here.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the Year - currently readingThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended