Luxury Car of the Year 2019: Mercedes S-Class
The Mercedes S-Class is the 2019 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Range Rover commended
It’s status quo in the luxury car sector. Despite facelifts for some of its rivals, the Mercedes S-Class is still the king of this class. Its case has only been strengthened by the addition of a petrol hybrid, but the diesels are still great and fit the character of the car well.
It’s supremely relaxed to travel in, and many will spend less time behind the wheel than in the rear, where they’re extremely well catered for. With business-class reclining seat options that feature massaging functions, plus rear-seat entertainment that will keep captains of industry connected when on the move, it’s incredibly well appointed and spacious, and comfortable enough that passengers will arrive at their destination fully refreshed.
The S-Class is every bit as appealing from behind the wheel. It comes with plenty of semi-autonomous driving tech to help take the sting out of longer journeys on the motorway, while the standard air suspension separates the body from the road surface beautifully, filtering out imperfections, lumps and bumps so that things stay calm and relaxed inside.
The S 350 d L, with its 3.0-litre straight-six turbo, is still the one to go for. With 282bhp and 600Nm of torque, it provides ample performance, while the nine-speed auto box changes gears smoothly. You can also add economy to the list of attributes. The 350 d is the most economical in the line-up, emitting 158g/km CO2 and returning up to 44.1mpg.
Mercedes S-Class 350 d L AMG Line (£78,190)
The S-Class range includes AMG Line and Grand Edition trims, but it’s the former we’d go for. It gets everything you’d realistically want, but there’s still plenty of scope to add opulent options to enhance what the S-Class offers. The 350 d engine is the perfect companion, while the long-wheelbase model maximises luxury.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
Bentley Continental GT
Bentley’s third-generation Continental GT is brilliant. It rides and goes like a Bentley should, offers incredible refinement and the cabin is sumptuously trimmed, but matches this with advanced infotainment that means the Bentley is a superb choice.
With plug-in capability now offered, the Range Rover balances as much luxury as ever with lower running costs for business users. The imperious driving position and image, allied to sumptuous ride comfort and refinement, mean that this is still an accomplished luxury car.
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended