Performance Car of the Year 2019: Porsche 911
The Porsche 911 is the 2019 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin DBS Superleggera and McLaren 600LT commended
There are few automotive icons like the 911, such is the German sports car’s reputation for performance. Now in its eighth generation with this 992 model, the rear-engined coupé is still the choice in this class.
Porsche has honed the 911’s make-up with a new platform that incorporates even more lightweight metal. So despite a growth in size for this new model, it’s still one of the lightest and most agile sports cars in its class. And that’s with Porsche broadening the car’s ability even further by making it a more comfortable, well rounded GT car than ever.
The ride quality is incredible for a sports car that’ll manage 0-62mph in 3.7 seconds (or 3.4 seconds for the Carrera 4 S with the optional Sport Chrono pack). Its standard-fit adaptive dampers soothe in the default setting, despite the car’s 20-inch front and 21-inch rear wheels, while Sport mode sharpens up the body control to the point where the 911’s chassis claws the road so hard that it’s difficult to unstick it.
The steering is close to the best electrically assisted set-up available. It’s quick and inspires confidence, so despite a growth in size in the move to the 992, it’s still easy to position this larger body on the road.
While that will detract from the involvement and experience for some, it’s also part of the appeal of the car. It’s now a superbly capable cruiser with incredible long-legged refinement, yet it balances this with dynamics and performance that few rivals can match.
The 3.0-litre flat-six has a new turbo set-up and puts out 444bhp in Carrera S form – currently the only engine option available. The eight-speed PDK gearbox shifts rapidly and almost imperceptibly, and although the motor is quieter, it still emits that trademark bassy growl the 911 is known for.
The evolutionary exterior design is ever-so-subtly sharper and cleaner, while the inside has been the subject of a big overhaul. Key to this is the revised infotainment system that echoes the one found in the Cayenne and Panamera luxury models. Quality is superb, as is the driving position, and with the 911’s trademark 2+2 layout, this is one of the most practical sports cars on sale. Those seats can be used for children or to complement the 132-litre boot in the nose.
Porsche 911 Carrera S PDK (£93,110)
Only the S model with Porsche’s eight-speed PDK box is available for now; Carrera and manual options will appear later, as well as a hybrid. But the rear-drive Carrera S is all the 911 you’ll need because traction is so good. You get acceptable kit, so revel in the car’s balance, grip, poise and performance, or its usability when conditions restrict your fun.
Aston Martin DBS Superleggera
Aston Martin’s second century has started with a boom, and the DBS Superleggera is one of the finest cars it has ever produced. The twin-turbo V12 delivers superb performance and plenty of theatre to match the Superleggera’s looks. But it’s the car’s GT comfort that makes it so appealing. It’s ferocious when you want it and relaxing when you don’t.
By applying its more focused LT tweaks to the 570S, McLaren has created the pinnacle of its Sports Series range with the 600LT. Communicative steering, superb braking, a rip-roaring twin-turbo V8 and wonderful chassis balance make this carbon fibre-tubbed sports car one of the most thrilling machines on sale.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended
- 16Large Premium SUV of the YearThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2019 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne commended
- 17MPV of the YearThe Citroen Berlingo XL is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer and Renault Grand Scenic commended
- 18Roadster of the YearThe Mazda MX-5 is the 2019 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Coupe of the YearThe Alpine A110 is the 2019 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Porsche 718 Cayman and Toyota Supra commended
- 20Hot Hatch of the YearThe Honda Civic Type R is the 2019 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Cupra Ateca and Ford Fiesta ST commended
- 21Performance Car of the Year - currently readingThe Porsche 911 is the 2019 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin DBS Superleggera and McLaren 600LT commended
- 22Luxury Car of the YearThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2019 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Range Rover commended
- 23Affordable Electric Car of the YearThe Kia e-Niro is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Kona Electric and Nissan Leaf commended
- 24Premium Electric Car of the YearThe Tesla Model 3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Electric Car of the Year, with the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace commended
- 25Affordable Hybrid Car of the YearThe Toyota Corolla is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in and Toyota Prius commended
- 26Premium Hybrid Car of the YearThe Mercedes E 300 de is the 2019 Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Range Rover P400e and Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine commended
- 27Pick-up of the YearThe Ford Ranger is the 2019 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Mitsubishi L200 and Nissan Navara commended
- 28Van of the YearThe Vauxhall Combo Cargo is the 2019 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Citroen Berlingo Van and Peugeot Partner commended
- 29Technology AwardLand Rover wins the Auto Express 2019 Technology Award for its ClearSight Ground View system
- 30Driver Power AwardLexus has scooped the 2019 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm once again
- 31Design AwardWe asked you what your favourite car design is for 2019, and the Alfa Romeo Tonale has taken the crown
- 32Auto Express New Car Awards: previous winnersA look back at previous winners of the Auto Express New Car Awards