Family Car of the Year 2019: Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport
The Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
Vauxhall’s large family car, the Insignia Grand Sport, offers incredible value for money. Some versions are so affordable that they match cars in the class below, yet the Insignia has a huge amount of space on offer.
The back seats are where this incredible level of room is most apparent. The legroom is so good that only the tallest passengers’ legs will touch the seat in front, and headroom is excellent, thanks to the low-set seats.
Headroom is similarly plentiful in the front and the driving position is also pretty good. For a big car, visibility isn’t too bad, either, so the Vauxhall is easy to drive. Then there’s the generous and versatile 490-litre boot, while the huge hatchback opening means that getting suitcases or any other big items in and out of the load bay is easy.
The cabin has an unfussy design and is solidly put together. There’s plenty of equipment regardless of trim level; even the entry-level Design model gets a seven-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto included, which means you can use your smartphone for satellite navigation if necessary. In fact, the infotainment is great, working with the level of simplicity you want in a family car, and you don’t have to pay extra for this functionality.
The Insignia Grand Sport’s smooth ride, comfortable seats and strong refinement mean that it makes a great motorway cruiser, but once you get the hatchback onto some twistier roads, there’s fun to be had as well.
Its steering is light but also direct so it makes the most of the grippy, balanced chassis, while the engine line-up proves that diesel power isn’t dead, with punchy motors that mean you can hustle the Vauxhall along.
There are 4x4 and automatic versions of the Insignia available, but stay with the front-wheel-drive manual models to get the best value for money. We’d also stick to diesel power because it suits the car’s relaxed character; you don’t need to use lots of revs to make progress, which improves the refinement.
Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport 1.6 Turbo D BlueInjection 136PS Design Nav (£21,645)
Keep to the lower reaches of the trim range to get the best value for money, because the Insignia Grand Sport is all about space and comfort for less cash. The 134bhp 1.6-litre diesel in this model emits 121g/km of CO2, so it’s a decent company car choice, and more than 50mpg should be easily achievable.
The Skoda Superb is just as spacious as the Insignia; we have no complaints about how much room it offers, while the boot is huge, too. It features clever storage spaces in the cabin, as well as a wide choice of petrol and diesel engines. The Superb’s infotainment system is also particularly slick.
If you’re concerned about the running costs of your next car, consider a Prius, even with an update set to arrive soon. Hybrid power means real-world fuel economy is sky-high, and the Toyota is practical and comfy, too. No wonder it’s a popular choice for minicab drivers who spend all day behind the wheel.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the Year - currently readingThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended