Technology Award 2019: Land Rover ClearSight Ground View
Land Rover wins the Auto Express 2019 Technology Award for its ClearSight Ground View system
Land Rover is known for innovation when it comes to off-road technology, so it only stands to reason that the British brand has come up with a world-first system to help when taking your car away from the tarmac. It’s called ClearSight Ground View.
As with many of the best innovations, this technology is delightfully simple. ClearSight Ground View projects a virtual view of the terrain underneath the car – something that’s usually obscured – onto the infotainment screen, which helps you to avoid tough topography and features such as tyre-tearing rocks. It’s even usable in tight parking spaces and to avoid grazes on higher kerbs in urban environments where, let’s face it, plenty of SUVs spend their time and tend to have large, shiny and expensive-to-repair alloy wheels.
Cameras located in the front grille and door mirrors stitch together a picture to provide you with more info on the hazards ahead at speeds of up to 18mph, helping you tackle them with confidence and accuracy without having to second-guess. It even ghosts in the vehicle’s wheels, so you know exactly where to position the car.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended