Van of the Year 2019: Vauxhall Combo Cargo
The Vauxhall Combo Cargo is the 2019 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Citroen Berlingo Van and Peugeot Partner commended
With the switch to PSA Group ownership, Vauxhall has revolutionised its commercial vehicle line-up. It started with the Combo Cargo, which is now a front-runner in the small-van class, and our Van of the year for 2019.
Vauxhall has tapped into PSA’s decades of small-van experience to produce a vehicle that delivers excellent payload weights and cargo volume combined with cutting-edge technology, first-class safety credentials and a range of fuel-efficient engines. It shares these values with the Citroen Berlingo and Peugeot Partner, but with Vauxhall offering tempting finance deals, such as six years’ zero per cent APR finance and the 4x4x4x4 package (which bundles finance, servicing, warranty and breakdown cover together in a four-year deal), it narrowly edged ahead of its siblings here.
The Combo Cargo offers a payload of up to a tonne, making it viable for some van users to downsize and reduce costs, while L1 and L2 body lengths offer respective load volumes of 3.3 and 3.9 cubic metres. If you add the clever FlexCargo through-loading option, you get an additional half a cubic metre of space. It doesn’t sound like much, but open the hatch in the bulkhead, fold down the twin passenger seat, and you can carry items up to 2.1 metres in length. And with the standard vinyl bag for loads to slide into, your cabin doesn’t get scuffed, either.
Vauxhall’s 1.5 Turbo D diesel comes in three power outputs up to 128bhp, and all three motors deliver decent economy. Combine this with running gear sourced from the PSA Group’s car range, and the Combo Cargo is a competent performer.
It also means that there’s a suite of safety kit that’s designed to make life easier. Luxuries such as adaptive cruise control, lane assist and city braking are all on offer, while a permanent rear-view camera is also available. In addition, a secondary rear-facing camera, which is mounted in the nearside wing mirror, eliminates the dangerous blind spot that’s a common complaint in vans such as this. Add this all together, and the Combo Cargo is a fine choice for business users wanting a great all-round performer.
Vauxhall Combo Cargo 2000 1.5 Turbo D 130 Sportive L1 (£19,803)
There’s such a wide variety of Combo Cargo variants on offer that there should be a van to suit every business need. The 128bhp 1.5 Turbo D will make light work of any load you might have on board, and it’ll deliver better fuel economy than the less powerful engines, too. The standard L1 body offers plenty of space inside, while mid-spec Sportive trim comes with decent kit, as well as the ability to add a few choice options.
Citroen Berlingo Van
Because it’s so closely related to the Combo Cargo, it’s no surprise that the Berlingo has earned a commendation this year. There is the same range of options, as well as the improved payload weights, and the driving experience means that the French van is light years ahead of its predecessor.
This is the third member of PSA’s small-van line-up, so of course the Partner gets our second commendation this year. Its chunky shape, which is shared with the Rifter MPV, offers a different look for buyers, yet underneath there are all the same engine and tech choices you’ll find in the other vans.
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended