Executive Car of the Year 2019: BMW 5 Series
The BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
An executive car needs to bring a lot to the table in order to be considered by buyers in this competitive sector, but the BMW 5 Series is still head and shoulders above its rivals. It’s an incredible all-rounder that’s refined, efficient, good to drive, comfortable and packed with tech.
A new platform helped the 5 Series head straight to the top of the class a few years ago, and it has stayed there. The strong but light fundamentals that underpin the car have allowed BMW to set the car up to balance fun and comfort, so this is by far the most enjoyable car to drive in its class. The driving position, agile chassis and superb body control mean that it’s incredibly capable for its size.
There’s a range of four and six-cylinder engines to choose from, plus the V8 in the M5 super-saloon that will appeal to petrolheads. There’s even a plug-in hybrid version for those looking to cut running costs dramatically, but it’s the 187bhp 2.0-litre four-cylinder 520d that we’d choose because it balances performance, refinement and economy brilliantly. The BMW’s standard eight-speed automatic transmission makes driving superbly relaxed as well.
The optional adaptive dampers give the 5 Series an incredibly broad range of ability. You can go from total comfort on a motorway to a spirited drive on a back road by switching between the softer and stiffer settings, yet even in the sportier modes it never feels unsettled.
The interior is similar to other models using BMW’s latest platform, including the 7 Series luxury car – which is a very good thing. The materials are of high quality and the cabin has a neat design, along with superb infotainment that’s modern and easy to use. It features an excellent sat-nav with live traffic updates, too, plus all of the other tech you’d expect from a car at this level, including semi-autonomous driving aids available as options.
Interior space is another huge plus point; there’s plenty of leg and headroom in the rear. It’s the icing on the cake that makes the 5 Series such a well-rounded package.
BMW 520d SE (£38,710)
You can go for an M Sport model if you prefer the looks, but SE makes more sense because it has so much standard kit. That includes the impressive and intuitive infotainment system, as well as sat-nav and lots of safety features. The 520d is the top engine choice because it mixes economy and performance brilliantly, with claims of more than 50mpg and 115g/km CO2, and a 0-62mph time of 7.3 seconds.
The E-Class lost out to the 5 Series because it’s not as fun to drive nor as comfortable as its main rival, but it still makes a fine choice. It has a luxurious, spacious and well built cabin, including impressive digital displays, and the range-topping E 63 variant is a modern-day hot-rod.
Volvo’s S90 is the best option to go for if you don’t want a German saloon. Its interior follows a minimalist ethos so it looks ultra-modern and very stylish, but it’s also fitted with loads of safety kit and a great infotainment system. It’s comfortable and spacious inside, too.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the Year - currently readingThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended
- 16Large Premium SUV of the YearThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2019 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne commended
- 17MPV of the YearThe Citroen Berlingo XL is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer and Renault Grand Scenic commended
- 18Roadster of the YearThe Mazda MX-5 is the 2019 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Coupe of the YearThe Alpine A110 is the 2019 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Porsche 718 Cayman and Toyota Supra commended
- 20Hot Hatch of the YearThe Honda Civic Type R is the 2019 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Cupra Ateca and Ford Fiesta ST commended
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe Porsche 911 is the 2019 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin DBS Superleggera and McLaren 600LT commended
- 22Luxury Car of the YearThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2019 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Range Rover commended
- 23Affordable Electric Car of the YearThe Kia e-Niro is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Kona Electric and Nissan Leaf commended
- 24Premium Electric Car of the YearThe Tesla Model 3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Electric Car of the Year, with the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace commended
- 25Affordable Hybrid Car of the YearThe Toyota Corolla is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in and Toyota Prius commended
- 26Premium Hybrid Car of the YearThe Mercedes E 300 de is the 2019 Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Range Rover P400e and Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine commended
- 27Pick-up of the YearThe Ford Ranger is the 2019 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Mitsubishi L200 and Nissan Navara commended
- 28Van of the YearThe Vauxhall Combo Cargo is the 2019 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Citroen Berlingo Van and Peugeot Partner commended
- 29Technology AwardLand Rover wins the Auto Express 2019 Technology Award for its ClearSight Ground View system
- 30Driver Power AwardLexus has scooped the 2019 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm once again
- 31Design AwardWe asked you what your favourite car design is for 2019, and the Alfa Romeo Tonale has taken the crown
- 32Auto Express New Car Awards: previous winnersA look back at previous winners of the Auto Express New Car Awards