Affordable Electric Car of the Year 2019: Kia e-Niro
The Kia e-Niro is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Kona Electric and Nissan Leaf commended
The headline figure for the e-Niro is its 282-mile range, which puts anxiety about how far you can drive on a single charge back in its box; the Kia can go further than a lot of petrol cars can on a single tank. Running one on our test fleet has proved that its predicted range is very accurate, too.
Not only does the e-Niro have a large 64kWh battery, the e-Niro is also among the more efficient electric cars you can buy, so you get more miles per kWh than in rival models. With most electric cars, a short commute – charging at home and at work – is the best way to keep moving, but the e-Niro’s long range means that it should only need to be charged up once a week for most people’s needs. Long runs shouldn’t be a problem and, thanks to its 100kW rapid-charging capability, the e-Niro is well ahead of the infrastructure curve. A more common 50kW rapid charge takes just over an hour, too.
But it’s not all about the battery, because the e-Niro is a great car in its own right. It’s easy to drive, with light steering and good visibility, and the interior is spacious. Because the Niro was designed with electrification in mind, there’s plenty of room in the back and a useful 451-litre boot, too.
Plus the Kia is comfortable – it rides smoothly even over big bumps and potholes – and the electric powertrain means that it’s pretty quick, too. Around town, little can keep up with it, thanks to the instant torque and 201bhp on offer from the motor, while it also has one of the most user-friendly regenerative braking systems on the market.
The car is packed with equipment as well. Its intuitive infotainment system features sat-nav and smartphone connectivity, which both work really well. You can find local charging points easily using this built-in set-up, so the added EV functionality is as comprehensive as the rest of the package.
Kia e-Niro First Edition (£32,995 incl Govt. grant)
There’s only one version of the e-Niro available at the moment, so you’re spared the agony of choice here. First Edition trim is packed full of kit, with premium features such as heated leather seats, a reversing camera, nav and phone connectivity, and wireless charging, so you won’t feel you’re missing anything.
Hyundai Kona Electric
Last year’s winner is still right up there with the e-Niro, because it offers the same usable range, has a tech-filled interior, a long list of kit and excellent infotainment. It’s slightly less practical than the Kia, but it’s still a fantastic choice, thanks to the shared powertrain.
The Leaf is comfortable, quiet and good to drive, and the line-up has been bolstered with the addition of the new 62kWh ‘e+’ version. This offers a much larger range to help keep you on the road longer between charges, so it’s still competitive with the e-Niro and Kona Electric.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended
- 16Large Premium SUV of the YearThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2019 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne commended
- 17MPV of the YearThe Citroen Berlingo XL is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer and Renault Grand Scenic commended
- 18Roadster of the YearThe Mazda MX-5 is the 2019 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Coupe of the YearThe Alpine A110 is the 2019 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Porsche 718 Cayman and Toyota Supra commended
- 20Hot Hatch of the YearThe Honda Civic Type R is the 2019 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Cupra Ateca and Ford Fiesta ST commended
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe Porsche 911 is the 2019 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin DBS Superleggera and McLaren 600LT commended
- 22Luxury Car of the YearThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2019 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Range Rover commended
- 23Affordable Electric Car of the Year - currently readingThe Kia e-Niro is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Kona Electric and Nissan Leaf commended
- 24Premium Electric Car of the YearThe Tesla Model 3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Electric Car of the Year, with the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace commended
- 25Affordable Hybrid Car of the YearThe Toyota Corolla is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in and Toyota Prius commended
- 26Premium Hybrid Car of the YearThe Mercedes E 300 de is the 2019 Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Range Rover P400e and Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine commended
- 27Pick-up of the YearThe Ford Ranger is the 2019 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Mitsubishi L200 and Nissan Navara commended
- 28Van of the YearThe Vauxhall Combo Cargo is the 2019 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Citroen Berlingo Van and Peugeot Partner commended
- 29Technology AwardLand Rover wins the Auto Express 2019 Technology Award for its ClearSight Ground View system
- 30Driver Power AwardLexus has scooped the 2019 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm once again
- 31Design AwardWe asked you what your favourite car design is for 2019, and the Alfa Romeo Tonale has taken the crown