Premium Hybrid Car of the Year 2019: Mercedes E 300 de
The Mercedes E 300 de is the 2019 Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Range Rover P400e and Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine commended
Diesel isn’t dead – especially when it’s combined with a battery pack and electric motor in a brilliant executive saloon package such as the Mercedes E 300 de. It’s the most convincing premium hybrid car on sale today.
Many premium hybrids that are based on executive cars use a petrol engine in combination with a battery and electric motor, but the E 300 de uses Mercedes’ solid 191bhp 2.0-litre turbodiesel. This means the hybrid system matches the E 300 e petrol plug-in for C02 emissions and running costs around town – not to mention refinement and relaxation, thanks to the boost from the 120bhp electric motor. But it eclipses it for economical cruising on the motorway, which is where many of these cars will spend their time. This is a plug-in hybrid that combines the best of both worlds.
There’s a total of 302bhp on offer and a huge 700Nm of torque, so performance is impressive; 0-62mph takes 5.9 seconds. But with the electric boost helping to take the load off the diesel engine, it’s refined, as any premium car should be.
You pay a price in load space, because the car’s 400-litre boot is smaller than the one in the regular E-Class saloon. But you benefit from CO2 emissions of just 41g/km (and as much as 202mpg possible if you plug in religiously), which mean much lower company car tax and running costs for business users.
The cabin is pure E-Class, which means excellent infotainment, with twin 12.3-inch screens available, plenty of high-quality materials and a spacious interior that offers plenty of comfort and refinement – and that’s what defines this car. Press on, and you can feel the plug-in E-Class’s extra weight over its conventional combustion-engined siblings in corners.
The battery takes just one hour 15 minutes to charge using a home wallbox or public charging post – and all the power cables are included as standard, unlike with some other premium PHEVs.
When the 13.5kWh battery is topped up, Mercedes claims an all-electric range of up to 32 miles, so some commuters might not need to fill up for weeks, but the torquey diesel is there when you need it.
Mercedes E 300 de EQ Power SE Hybrid (£47,700)
We’d go for the entry-level SE Hybrid trim, because it’s the cheapest version, yet it still comes with LED lights, nav, heated leather seats, cruise control and plenty of safety tech, including AEB and blind-spot assist. We’d spend the money you save upgrading the already advanced infotainment with the Premium pack, which adds wireless charging and a larger 12.3-inch display.
Range Rover P400e
The P400e is a worthwhile addition to the Range Rover line-up. This substantial SUV shows how the sector is moving on, and the tech combines with luxury in a package that boasts all the best bits of a Range Rover. The petrol engine is a little noisy, but otherwise it’s a great luxury PHEV.
Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine
Volvo's XC60 T8 is still a great plug-in. It offers SUV looks and practicality with little drawback from fitting the hybrid powertrain. There’s massive performance, with 385bhp and up to 34 miles of electric driving range. That means CO2 emissions as low as 47g/km and claimed economy of up to 100mpg.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2019
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2019 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2019 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2019 is the all-electric Tesla Model 3
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2019 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2019 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2019 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Skoda Scala is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 3 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Mercedes C-Class commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2019 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2019 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2019 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Volkswagen T-Cross commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearThe Skoda Karoq is the 2019 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year with the Peugeot 3008 and Toyota RAV4 commended
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe SEAT Tarraco is the 2019 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and Skoda Kodiaq commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Range Rover Evoque is the 2019 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the Audi Q3 and Lexus UX commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Macan and Volvo XC60 commended
- 16Large Premium SUV of the YearThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2019 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne commended
- 17MPV of the YearThe Citroen Berlingo XL is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer and Renault Grand Scenic commended
- 18Roadster of the YearThe Mazda MX-5 is the 2019 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Coupe of the YearThe Alpine A110 is the 2019 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Porsche 718 Cayman and Toyota Supra commended
- 20Hot Hatch of the YearThe Honda Civic Type R is the 2019 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Cupra Ateca and Ford Fiesta ST commended
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe Porsche 911 is the 2019 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin DBS Superleggera and McLaren 600LT commended
- 22Luxury Car of the YearThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2019 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Range Rover commended
- 23Affordable Electric Car of the YearThe Kia e-Niro is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Kona Electric and Nissan Leaf commended
- 24Premium Electric Car of the YearThe Tesla Model 3 is the 2019 Auto Express Premium Electric Car of the Year, with the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace commended
- 25Affordable Hybrid Car of the YearThe Toyota Corolla is the 2019 Auto Express Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in and Toyota Prius commended
- 26Premium Hybrid Car of the Year - currently readingThe Mercedes E 300 de is the 2019 Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the Range Rover P400e and Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine commended
- 27Pick-up of the YearThe Ford Ranger is the 2019 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Mitsubishi L200 and Nissan Navara commended
- 28Van of the YearThe Vauxhall Combo Cargo is the 2019 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Citroen Berlingo Van and Peugeot Partner commended
- 29Technology AwardLand Rover wins the Auto Express 2019 Technology Award for its ClearSight Ground View system
- 30Driver Power AwardLexus has scooped the 2019 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm once again
- 31Design AwardWe asked you what your favourite car design is for 2019, and the Alfa Romeo Tonale has taken the crown