Used Mazda CX-3 (Mk1, 2015-2020) review - What should you look out for?
Mazda has a strong reputation for reliability, but some models haven’t been highly rated in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys
Build quality is excellent, especially on the inside, while Mazda’s reputation for reliability should provide some peace of mind. Be wary when buying a low-mileage CX-3 diesel, because problems can occur if the DPF regeneration is interrupted.
Common used Mazda CX-3 Mk1 problems
The CX-3 featured a conventional handbrake until August 2018, at which point an electronic version was fitted.
Many owners have experienced problems with the air-conditioning; dealers have been replacing systems under warranty.
Front-wheel-drive cars have a 48-litre fuel tank, while four-wheel-drive models get a 44-litre tank, despite the fact that they’re thirstier.
If the windscreen washers don’t work, the water reservoir is probably empty; there’s no warning on the dashboard to tell you.
The CX-3 has been recalled four times, the first in May 2017 for possible failure of the boot’s gas struts. Some models made in May 2016 were called back in July 2017 over a faulty brake hose clip. A software fault could lead to engine failure on cars built up to November 2017; an ECU update fixed this. CX-3s made up to April 2017 could suffer an electrical short circuit leading to the engine cutting out.
In this review
- 1Used Mazda CX-3 (Mk1, 2015-2020) reviewThe Mazda CX-3 is a fun, small crossover that is a bit pricey to buy, but cheap to run
- 2How much will it cost?It’s not the cheapest supermini-based SUV you can buy; diesel and four-wheel drive versions are rare
- 3How practical is it?Although the front seats are comfortable, the Mazda CX-3 is rather cramped in the rear. Plus, the boot is small
- 4What’s it like to drive?The 1.8 diesel serves up cracking performance and impressive fuel economy, but the 2.0 petrol is good, too
- 5What should you look out for? - currently readingMazda has a strong reputation for reliability, but some models haven’t been highly rated in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys
- 6What do owners think? Mazda has a strong reputation for reliability, but some models haven’t been highly rated in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys