Used Peugeot 5008 (Mk1, 2008-2017) review - What do owners think?
The Peugeot 5008 performed disappointedly in Driver Power, but the brand is becoming more reliable
The Peugeot 5008 never performed particularly well in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys, with both the car and manufacturers failing to shine in any given year. Take 2015, when the Peugeot brand finished 31st out of 32 overall. Worse still, the pre-facelift version of this same car managed to rank only 135th out of 200 cars when scored for Reliability, and it was rated 200th – dead last – by owners for Build Quality (the Citroen C4 Picasso scored 160th for Reliability, but 156th for Build Quality).
It’s decently well built though, and Peugeot has been making efforts to improve its record. So although it looks bad for the 5008, we wouldn't assume it will be a nightmare to live with.
The 5008 came 137th in our 2016 survey. It managed a top-100 place in just three categories: 72nd for practicality, 87th for running costs and 91st for performance. Lowest score was 148th for seat comfort; build quality came in at 147th, while it was 145th for handling.
Things seem to be improving, with Peugeot finishing an impressive 11th out of 29 on the list of best manufacturers in our 2021 Driver Power survey. This made it the highest-ranking French manufacturer, with Renault finishing 20th and Citroen 28th.
Just be wary of cars that are run on a budget. As older cars edge towards the cheap end of the market, there’s a temptation to miss recommended service intervals and to take shortcuts in terms of regular maintenance. A good service history is vital.
In this review
- 1Used Peugeot 5008 (Mk1, 2008-2017) reviewThe Peugeot 5008 mixes seven-seat practicality with an upmarket interior
- 2How much will it cost?Prices and fuel economy are plus points, but the Peugeot’s depreciation is a worry on newer cars
- 3How practical is it?Aside from a lack of oddment space, the Peugeot 5008 leaves little to gripe about
- 4What’s it like to drive?Strong engines, a comfortable ride and good refinement make long-haul trips a breeze
- 5What should you look out for?Some issues in terms of overall quality, but the engines should be reliable
- 6What do owners think? - currently readingThe Peugeot 5008 performed disappointedly in Driver Power, but the brand is becoming more reliable