Used Peugeot 5008 (Mk1, 2008-2017) review - What should you look out for?
Some issues in terms of overall quality, but the engines should be reliable
The 5008 stems from a time before Peugeot took steps to improve its overall quality – the current 5008 feels a league above its predecessor – so some minor issues are to be expected. A used example with six figures on the clock will be showing its age, while some pieces of broken trim are to be expected. On the plus side, the engines are generally reliable if maintained to the recommended schedules.
Common used Peugeot 5008 problems
Cabin quality The interior trim gets damaged too easily, which isn’t ideal for a family car that’s designed to carry up to five small children.
Parking issues Rear parking sensors are essential, because it’s so hard to tell where the car ends. Buy a model without and you’ll scrape it.
Storage space There are cubby holes set into the floor behind each of the front seats. The lids for these give way once they’ve been stood on.
Disc wear Brake discs can wear quickly, even on cars not used around town much, so check for wear and warping before buying.
A total of nine recalls is poor. The first came in August 2010 as the windscreen could detach; the next in January 2011 as the rear window motors could short – then again in August 2011. There were fuel leaks on 2.0 HDi models in February 2011. In January 2013, cars were recalled because the rear brake caliper mounting plate could loosen. In March 2013 failed spot welds were noted, and then airbag glitches in April 2014. In December 2015 came more fuel leaks, and engine oil leaks in March 2016.
In this review
- 1Used Peugeot 5008 (Mk1, 2008-2017) reviewThe Peugeot 5008 mixes seven-seat practicality with an upmarket interior
- 2How much will it cost?Prices and fuel economy are plus points, but the Peugeot’s depreciation is a worry on newer cars
- 3How practical is it?Aside from a lack of oddment space, the Peugeot 5008 leaves little to gripe about
- 4What’s it like to drive?Strong engines, a comfortable ride and good refinement make long-haul trips a breeze
- 5What should you look out for? - currently readingSome issues in terms of overall quality, but the engines should be reliable
- 6What do owners think? The Peugeot 5008 performed disappointedly in Driver Power, but the brand is becoming more reliable