Continental WinterContact TS 870 review
A strong all-round showing put the Continental into a lead over arch rival Bridgestone that it never lost
The WinterContact scoops a further win and the second on the trot for the TS 870, which again put together a balanced series of results that are ideally suited to UK winters. In Sweden only the Vredestein was behind the WinterContact, but crucially, the TS 870 wasn’t far adrift of the pacesetters.
However, Continental wasn’t out of the top two in Germany. The tyre combined strong wet grip with good fuel economy. It might not be back to its ‘best in braking’ aim, but it was close and among the leaders after faltering in our last test.
It was also the best to drive. There was a liveliness to the steering that rivals couldn’t match, combined with a very planted rear. There was good traction and the TS 870 needed less lock than rivals. It was also one of the quietest tyres on test.
The remarkable TS 870 notches up another win, with sector-leading wet and dry grip balanced by a good performance on snow.
We don’t have enough reviews yet to provide insight into this tyre’s popularity. But its predecessor scored 4.6 out of 5.
|Continental WinterContact TS 870
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe push a selection of winter tyres to the max in all conditions to see which is Britain's best
- 2Continental WinterContact TS 870 - currently readingA strong all-round showing put the Continental into a lead over arch rival Bridgestone that it never lost
- 3Bridgestone Blizzak LM005The Blizzak LM005 won our snow braking and snow traction tests, and was close to taking top spot overall
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3The Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 is a great all-round tyre in winter conditions
- 5Hankook i*cept RS3The Hankook i*cept RS3 came alive in the dry and wet, but it comes at the expense of grip in the snow
- 6Pirelli Cinturato Winter 2The Pirelli was on the pace in the dry, but struggled for stability in the downhill stop
- 7Michelin Alpin 6Fuel economy has improved over time, but sadly the same cannot be said for cabin noise
- 8Vredestein Wintrac ProThe Wintrac Pro was at its weakest in the wet, where lacked the balance of its rivals
- 9Alternative tyre choicesNot sure about winter tyres? Here are two other options
- 10Results by categoryWhich winter tyre performed well in which area? Our tables reveal all