New Car Awards 2014: Special Award
Our annual Special Award for 2014 goes to Tesla for producing the fantastic Model S
If an established manufacturer had pulled the covers off the Tesla Model S, it would be lauded as a huge achievement. So the fact that the electrically powered luxury saloon has come from a start-up company is remarkable – and means Tesla truly deserves to win our annual Special Award.
Not only does the Model S look the part, it features a cabin that’s big on luxury and technology. For instance, the dashboard is dominated by a vast touchscreen display that controls all the major functions, while classy materials are used throughout. It’s roomy, too, plus there’s even a versatile seven-seater option.
And then there’s the way the Tesla drives. The performance of all versions is breathtaking, with the Model S Performance blasting from 0-62mph in a mere 4.2 seconds. Even more impressively, the Tesla can squeeze around 300 miles of range out of every charge.
Yet there’s more to the brand’s Special Award than the brilliant Model S. What really sets Tesla apart is its commitment to making electric cars a viable everyday proposition. While rival companies wait for governments to put in place a charging infrastructure, Tesla is forging ahead with its own Supercharger network, which will be placed along many of the UK’s major routes and will allow owners to top up with 170 miles of range in as little as half an hour.
Sound fanciful? Well it shouldn’t, because the firm has already set up similar systems in the US and parts of Europe. And once the Superchargers are in place, you’ll be able to travel the length and breadth of the country without the slightest hint of range anxiety.
Make no mistake, in 10 or 20 years’ time, we’ll be looking back at Tesla and its Model S as the catalysts for one of the biggest revolutions in motoring since the internal-combustion engine was invented more than a century ago.
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended