Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Firm has widened focus on fuel economy to produce a top buy
There has been a revolution at Michelin, as the firm seems to have changed the key factors it builds into its tyres.
Fuel economy used to be a top priority, with wet grip down the list, but the Pilot Sport 3 follows a more balanced approach. It’s still good, if no longer always the best on fuel consumption, and now this is combined with a strong wet road showing.
It was brilliant in our aquaplaning tests, just in front of the Pirelli, even after our test weighting lessened the impact of its superb showing on the curved aquaplaning result and ninth place on the wet circle.
Traction was excellent on the wet circuit, although the rear of the Golf moved around more than with most rivals; this could help lap times, yet meant a demanding drive.
The balance was restored on dry tarmac, but grip dropped away early, and it required more steering lock. Plus, it propped up the dry braking table, nearly two metres behind the winning Continental. Add a poor noise result, and it has to settle for second.
Change in performance targets has worked, with firm delivering a better all-round tyre.
In this review
- 1IntroductionThe Auto Express annual tyre test is back! We put 10 leading brands to the test to find Britain’s top tyre
- 2Apollo Aspire 4New cut-price brand promises to shake up the tyre market
- 3Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - currently readingFirm has widened focus on fuel economy to produce a top buy
- 4Hankook Ventus S1 evoKoreans’ focus on low rolling resistance affects performance
- 5Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2Podium finishes across board swept newcomer to victory
- 6Dunlop Sport Maxx TTPoor efficiency is a thorn in the side of this midfield performer
- 7Continental ContiSportContact 3Our former champ is left half way down the field this time
- 8Bridgestone Potenza S001Disappointing showing on home turf for top maker
- 9Nokian Z G2Whisper-quiet rubber gave top names a run for their money
- 10Pirelli P ZeroMotorsport-inspired pattern is still the best wet weather tyre
- 11Vredestein Ultrac CentoSole directional tread on test put in a strong performance