Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Podium finishes across board swept newcomer to victory
New-for-2011 Asymmetric 2 scored highly in most tests. And while it won none of them, a series of podium finishes was more than enough to take the overall victory.
Wet or dry, the Goodyear was always a contender – apart from in our lateral aquaplaning test, where the Michelin was a class apart. On the wet track, it inspired confidence with impressive lateral grip and felt secure even when the rear moved around. You can keep pushing this tyre – and its wet road confidence was backed up by podiums for braking and cornering, and fourth in straight aquaplaning.
Yet while we expect Goodyear to do well in the wet, its ability in the dry is a surprise. It turns in sharply and hangs on well, albeit needing more lock than rivals.
Some Goodyear tyres have struggled on fuel economy, but the Asymmetric 2 ranks second. Only cabin noise let it down, but it wasn’t far behind the best.
While Pirelli had the edge in the wet, the Goodyear turned the tables in the other tests to secure the win.
Impressive all-rounder that is an excellent choice for any conditions.
In this review
- 1IntroductionThe Auto Express annual tyre test is back! We put 10 leading brands to the test to find Britain’s top tyre
- 2Apollo Aspire 4New cut-price brand promises to shake up the tyre market
- 3Michelin Pilot Sport 3Firm has widened focus on fuel economy to produce a top buy
- 4Hankook Ventus S1 evoKoreans’ focus on low rolling resistance affects performance
- 5Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - currently readingPodium finishes across board swept newcomer to victory
- 6Dunlop Sport Maxx TTPoor efficiency is a thorn in the side of this midfield performer
- 7Continental ContiSportContact 3Our former champ is left half way down the field this time
- 8Bridgestone Potenza S001Disappointing showing on home turf for top maker
- 9Nokian Z G2Whisper-quiet rubber gave top names a run for their money
- 10Pirelli P ZeroMotorsport-inspired pattern is still the best wet weather tyre
- 11Vredestein Ultrac CentoSole directional tread on test put in a strong performance