Best people carriers
We name the cars that will get the maximum number of people and the largest quantity of luggage from A to B.
This year's results in the MPV sector shows the changes sweeping through the market.
For the first time, our chart is headed up by a cross-over model. Merging the talents of compact family cars, MPVs and SUVs into a perfectly proportioned package, Nissan’s Qashqai has made a big impression in Driver Power 2011.
The presence in the range of the ‘+2’ seven seat version justifies its inclusion in this chart, where the Qashqai’s score of 89.91 per cent makes it a clear winner. The best news for British industry is that this Nissan is another top class model built here in the UK at the Japanese firm’s Sunderland plant.
Second place goes to an MPV that has proved its worth to families up and down the country. Ford’s S-MAX offers a great combination of attractive styling, great handling and superb interior practicality – just what the doctor ordered in this section of the new car market.
SEAT’s Altea is another model to take a sporty route to win the hearts and minds of people carrier buyers. It’s a strategy that seems to be working, as the Spanish model grabs third place ahead of its Citroen C4 Picasso rival. Volkswagen’s Golf based Touran picks up fifth place, narrowly bettered by its French opponent.
What you said: "A beautifully built, attractive, safe car with great styling features, excellent reliability, good spec and more than adequate performance and handling. A top notch winner from Nissan." - Nissan Qashqai Owner.
"I love the S-MAX, it is just so practical with a young family and still drives well, other MPV style cars all feel like a bus to drive." - Ford S-MAX Driver.
Compact MPV/MPV Classaverage: 84.88%
|CAT POSITION||TOP 100 POSITION|
- 1IntroductionWant to know which city car performs best in Driver Power? Our breakdown picks out the top buys in eight key classes.
- 2Best small carIt’s hard for a small car to fulfill the needs of every driver, we name the best
- 3Best compact family carWhich compact hatchbacks cope with family life best? Our list of the top 100 reveals all.
- 4Best family carOur guide names the best family cars for fine driving dynamics, value and reliability.
- 5Best compact executiveFind out what makes a great compact executive car - with our guide to the top 100.
- 6Best executive carIt's a tough market to crack, cars need a great combination of style, luxury and sporting pedigree to triumph here.
- 7Best off-roadersThe best 4x4s offset high running costs with practicality, luxury, comfort and more.
- 8Best sportscarsWhich sportscars offer the best driving experience, and deliver the biggest adrenaline hit, our survey reveals all.
- 9Best people carriers - currently readingWe name the cars that will get the maximum number of people and the largest quantity of luggage from A to B.