Merc ML63 AMG
Fastest SUV on UK roads blasts in.
It’s a simple matter of physics: the heavier the car, the more power you need to accelerate quickly. So, a weighty SUV isn’t an obvious choice for a 0-60mph challenge. But then the Mercedes ML63 AMG is no ordinary off-roader…
Any performance car fan knows that a Mercedes wearing an AMG badge is far from normal, and this mighty 6.3-litre V8 monster earns a place in our line-up as the fastest fully fledged 4x4 on sale in the UK.
Despite weighing in at 2,310kg, the M-Class covered 0-60mph in 4.9 seconds in our test – that’s only six-tenths behind the V10-engined Audi RS6 saloon!
The 6.3-litre V8 delivers a bellowing soundtrack as it takes the M-Class beyond 100mph in just over 12 seconds. The 4WD transmission and stability control mean a wet road surface makes little difference to the acceleration, while the seven-speed 7G-Tronic gearbox provides smooth and rapid shifts. Off the line, you can choose sport mode and allow the auto to change ratios, or do it yourself via steering wheel-mounted paddles.
Even when it’s held in higher gears, the mighty Mercedes has responses you wouldn’t expect from an SUV – it takes a mere 2.9 seconds to accelerate from 30-50mph in third.
Fortunately, AMG has also worked its magic on the brakes and suspension, providing excellent body control and surprisingly poised handling. But while the M-Class defies the laws of physics, there is a price to pay – pushing the Mercedes through the air uses a lot of energy. Emissions of 392g/km and mpg in the teens are the result.
Chart position: 4
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe race against the clock in six of the UK’s fastest-accelerating cars.
- 21st Porsche 911 TurboOne of motoring’s most famous names delivers searing pace and thrilling handling
- 32nd Ariel Atom 300Can lightweight thriller deliver on its promise?
- 43rd Audi RS6 saloonDon’t be deceived by the subtle looks – this all-wheel-drive four-door is a real brute
- 54th Merc ML63 AMG - currently readingFastest SUV on UK roads blasts in.
- 65th Tesla RoadsterHas hi-tech newcomer started a battery-powered performance car revolution?
- 76th Renaultsport Megane R26.RFrench flier aims to strike a blow for the hot hatch market.
- 8Facts and figures