Van of the year: New Car Awards 2014
The Ford Transit is the 2014 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Mercedes Sprinter and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
Our Van of the Year is an icon reborn. We waited 14 years for a new Ford Transit, and when one finally arrived it didn’t disappoint.
Ford has completely renewed its van range in under two years, but the big ‘two-tonne’ Transit is the flagship model in the line-up, and the company has managed to improve it in every key area.
The new model range offers a 10 per cent improvement in load volumes, taking the maximum carrying capacity up to over 15 cubic metres.
Fuel economy of 44mpg in the ECOnetic version is outstanding for a large van, while service intervals of 30,000 miles are certain to go down well with fleet managers.
Ford has fitted the Transit with one of the most advanced ESC stability control systems ever seen on a van. It includes Curve Control technology, plus a variety of other add-on features specifically designed to improve the safety of commercial vehicles carrying heavy loads. All Transits also get front, side and curtain airbags as standard.
With aspects of its cabin design carried over from Ford passenger cars, the new Transit has made big steps forward in terms of interior quality. It also inherits the composed ride and accurate handling that make Ford cars such a pleasure to drive on the road.
Transit 2.2 TDCi Trend 125 FWD 300 MWB (£22,195)
There’s lots of choice in the Transit range, but the TDCi 125 diesel is our pick. It mixes strong economy with muscle for big loads, while Trend trim adds useful creature comforts.
The Sprinter has the size and muscle to cope with the toughest load carrying jobs. It offers an excellent engine range and was one of the first vans to provide an advanced range of safety features.
British-built Vauxhall Vivaro mixes a practical load area, refined road manners and a cleverly thought-out cab. It’s also capable of fuel economy close to 48mpg in its greenest guise.
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended