Van of the Year 2015: Ford Transit
The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
You have to go back to the year of the Ford Transit’s debut, 1965, for the last time it wasn’t the UK’s market-leading van – and it’s marked its 50th anniversary in style by being deservedly crowned our Van of the Year.
The functional Transit is a van that offers low running costs and decent efficiency to appeal to fleet managers, while also boasting comfort and responsive handling to keep those behind the wheel happy. On that solid base, Ford has constructed a huge model range to ensure there’s a Transit for almost every business – buyers now have over 450 variants to choose from.
All new vans’ load volumes have increased by 10 per cent over the previous range, and that sees the largest Transit Jumbo offer an impressive 15.1m3 of capacity. Minimising running costs is essential in any commercial vehicle, and the Transit excels in this area.
The van was tested to destruction in the development process to ensure no amount of tough treatment at the hands of drivers would get the better of it. The long service intervals of two years or 30,000 miles also help it stay on the road longer than its rivals, while Ford’s latest Duratorq diesel engine tech means fuel and tax bills don’t get out of hand.
The efficient ECOnetic vans emit just 169g/km of CO2 and return 44mpg economy. So, even 50 years on from the launch of the original model, Ford’s Transit is pushing the boundaries of the panel van market and challenging rivals to keep pace.
Transit 2.2 125 310 L2H2 FWD ECOnetic (£28,295)
This stalwart L2H2 version of the Transit mixes the roomy, medium-wheelbase, high-roof bodystyle with Ford’s strong 2.2-litre 123bhp diesel engine and ECOnetic fuel saving tech. It’s enough for 41.5mpg economy and CO2 emissions of 177g/km.
Fiat Doblo Cargo
The new Fiat Doblo Cargo has the credentials to really shake up the small van class. A wide range of bodystyles offers load volumes up to 5.0m3, while an innovative independent rear suspension design helps achieve smooth and secure progress on the road. Fuel economy of up to 64mpg is the icing on the cake.
Vauxhall’s latest Vivaro is intelligently designed and built in Britain. The mid-sized panel van is packed with clever features to maximise load space and make everyday use that much easier. Engine refinement and ride comfort also count as key strengths of a van that ticks all the important boxes for domestic operators.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender