Convertible of the Year 2015: Audi A3 Cabriolet
The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
The Audi A3 Cabriolet scoops our Best Convertible award once again thanks to its sleek proportions, peppy engines and effortless open-top ability. It faced stiff competition from the new BMW 2 Series Convertible this year, but the small drop-top just had enough to reign supreme over its rival.
Drive the A3, and its MQB underpinnings are immediately apparent, with sharp steering that gives the chassis an alert feeling. Audi hasn’t cut corners in taking the roof off the standard car, either, as the bodyshell feels stiff and composed over bumpy roads with very little shake through the cabin. And despite the A3’s big wheels, this is a sporty Audi that, refreshingly, rides with a soft and supple edge.
It boasts clever tricks like a climate control system that remembers settings for when you have the roof up and down, while the minimalist interior is a delightful place to be. And with that powered hood, you can enjoy the wind in your hair at the touch of a button, as the roof will raise or lower in 18 seconds at up to 30mph.
The vast engine line-up ranges from frugal diesels which emit as little as 110g/km of CO2, all the way up to a blistering 296bhp S3 Cabriolet model – and even this level of power doesn’t corrupt the drive. Whether the roof is up or down, the A3 is relatively practical, with four seats and a big boot. Space in the rear is good, too, making this a car for all seasons.
A3 Cabriolet 1.4 TSI Sport (£27,525)
The revvy 1.4-litre turbo petrol engine is the one to have, as it has enough power to keep things interesting and matches the A3’s simple, muscular styling perfectly. In Sport spec, it’s a great cruiser on the motorway and lots of fun on a twisty road.
BMW 4 Series Convertible
A folding metal hard-top provides BMW’s 4 Series Convertible with excellent refinement whether you’re driving around town or on a motorway cruise. Mix its sleek coupé proportions with some punchy petrol and diesel engines, and it’s easy to see why this model has picked up the old 3 Series Convertible’s mantle by becoming a resounding success.
Porsche 911 Convertible
More than 50 years of development have made the Porsche 911 an icon, and taking the roof off for the 911 Convertible only strengthens that attraction. A roofless Porsche no longer equates to dynamic shortcomings in this day and age, and with the top down, you can hear the flat-six’s bark better. Plus, the 2+2 layout means there’s a dash of practicality.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender