Convertible of the Year 2015: Audi A3 Cabriolet
The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
The Audi A3 Cabriolet scoops our Best Convertible award once again thanks to its sleek proportions, peppy engines and effortless open-top ability. It faced stiff competition from the new BMW 2 Series Convertible this year, but the small drop-top just had enough to reign supreme over its rival.
Drive the A3, and its MQB underpinnings are immediately apparent, with sharp steering that gives the chassis an alert feeling. Audi hasn’t cut corners in taking the roof off the standard car, either, as the bodyshell feels stiff and composed over bumpy roads with very little shake through the cabin. And despite the A3’s big wheels, this is a sporty Audi that, refreshingly, rides with a soft and supple edge.
It boasts clever tricks like a climate control system that remembers settings for when you have the roof up and down, while the minimalist interior is a delightful place to be. And with that powered hood, you can enjoy the wind in your hair at the touch of a button, as the roof will raise or lower in 18 seconds at up to 30mph.
The vast engine line-up ranges from frugal diesels which emit as little as 110g/km of CO2, all the way up to a blistering 296bhp S3 Cabriolet model – and even this level of power doesn’t corrupt the drive. Whether the roof is up or down, the A3 is relatively practical, with four seats and a big boot. Space in the rear is good, too, making this a car for all seasons.
A3 Cabriolet 1.4 TSI Sport (£27,525)
The revvy 1.4-litre turbo petrol engine is the one to have, as it has enough power to keep things interesting and matches the A3’s simple, muscular styling perfectly. In Sport spec, it’s a great cruiser on the motorway and lots of fun on a twisty road.
BMW 4 Series Convertible
A folding metal hard-top provides BMW’s 4 Series Convertible with excellent refinement whether you’re driving around town or on a motorway cruise. Mix its sleek coupé proportions with some punchy petrol and diesel engines, and it’s easy to see why this model has picked up the old 3 Series Convertible’s mantle by becoming a resounding success.
Porsche 911 Convertible
More than 50 years of development have made the Porsche 911 an icon, and taking the roof off for the 911 Convertible only strengthens that attraction. A roofless Porsche no longer equates to dynamic shortcomings in this day and age, and with the top down, you can hear the flat-six’s bark better. Plus, the 2+2 layout means there’s a dash of practicality.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended