Crossover of the Year 2015: Nissan Qashqai
The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
The Qashqai kicked off the modern crossover revolution – and it’s still the best. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and although many rivals come close, none can knock the Nissan off top spot in this class.
This second-generation model is stronger than ever. The British-built Qashqai has plenty of style, but despite its crisp looks, Nissan hasn’t forgotten its family car roots. It’s a striking alternative to a regular hatchback, and with a big 430-litre boot there’s plenty of space on offer.
This is reflected inside, too, as the cabin is roomy and smart thanks to a sweeping dash design and advanced tech. Foremost among this is Nissan’s clever Safety Shield, which features protective extras such as blind-spot warning, moving object detection and a 360-degree around view camera system, while options include autonomous braking and full LED headlights.
Tech under the bonnet is a match for the rest of the car, as the compact but impressive range of engines returns strong efficiency. The 1.5- litre dCi turbodiesel emits just 99g/km of CO2, meaning you won’t have to pay any road tax. Even the more powerful 1.6 dCi is clean, while the 1.2 DIG-T petrol delivers a good blend of performance and economy, due to its tiny turbo.
There’s not too much noise from the diesel engines and the soft but composed chassis rides all surfaces with a real composure. It means you can cruise for long distances in lots of comfort, but turn off the motorway and have fun when you want to. Plus with four-wheel drive and auto boxes on offer, there’s plenty of choice, too.
Qashqai 1.5 dCi Acenta Premium (£23,730)
Safety Shield technology comes as standard on the Acenta Premium, which represents the best mix of equipment and value. Add in the frugal 1.5-litre diesel engine and the Qashqai is a cost-effective, quality family car which also comes with a real sense of style.
Citroen C4 Cactus
Citroen’s fresh approach to crossover design still looks great, and the C4 Cactus offers something different again thanks to its fashion-focused interior, unusual design and body-protecting trademark Airbumps. Low prices, frugal engines and a soft ride mean it’s a comfortable crossover that should be on any buyer’s shortlist.
Hitting the market earlier this year, the CX-3 offers everything that we would expect from a Mazda crossover. It’s great to drive with punchy engines and a lovely chassis, plus it also has a practical, premium cabin. Smart looks and efficient engines mean the CX-3 should follow in the larger Mazda CX-5’s successful footsteps.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended