Large SUV of the Year 2015: Volvo XC90
The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
Volvo has shaken up the large SUV class with a premium seven-seat off-roader that offers superb luxury and cutting-edge tech at more affordable prices. After winning our Design Award last year, the firm is going through a purple patch when it comes to styling, and the XC90 is a crisp and clear evolution of Volvo’s vision.
Cool details such as the Thor’s Hammer daytime running lights and the bluff but bold front end mean this SUV is setting the latest design trends. Inside, it’s a similar story, as the minimalist cabin is beautifully trimmed.
The XC90 is undeniably a top-quality product, and the dash-mounted iPad-style tablet that controls the multimedia, climate control and sat-nav systems is the icing on the cake.
The engine line-up ensures that there’s substance to go with the style. There’s one 222bhp diesel – which is smooth, refined and perfectly adequate – a 316bhp petrol and a 401bhp petrol hybrid with a great turn of pace.
Practicality is paramount for a large 4x4, and the Volvo combines plenty of room for seven with lots of comfort. It’s versatile, too, as each chair in the middle row slides independently, while the folding mechanism is simple. Plus, the extra two seats fold flat for a huge 1,102-litre boot.
Then there’s the next-generation safety kit. Volvo is known for pioneering new innovations, and with clever tech to help avoid a crash and keep you safe, the XC90 is one of the most advanced cars when it comes to protection.
In all areas the Volvo excels, making it one of the most desirable cars on sale.
XC90 D5 AWD Momentum (£45,750)
Entry-level trim doesn’t scrimp on kit or quality. The new XC90 is a big step up for Volvo, and even this bottom rung of the ladder can rival BMW, Mercedes and Land Rover’s best. Standard kit includes adaptive LED lights, climate control, nav and leather. Volvo’s full range of safety kit is also featured, including City Safety braking, lane departure warning and road sign recognition.
Building on its rugged image, the new Sorento adds a new sense of style to the mix. It still boasts impressive four-wheel- drive ability, but with decent efficiency from its new diesel engines and an upmarket styling makeover inside and out, Kia’s seven-seat off-roader is threatening the premium brands with its new-found luxury and versatility.
Range Rover Sport
Price might hold the Range Rover Sport back in this company, but a sumptuous cabin and a serene ride, thanks to standard-fit air-suspension, mean it’s still a brilliant SUV. That suspension gives incredible off-road ability, but the Sport is also surprisingly capable in corners. A useful seven-seat layout is offered as an option, too.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender