Hall of Fame 2015
We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender
Hall of Fame: Alan Batey
General Motors Executive Vice President and President, North America This year’s Auto Express Brit List was as hotly contested as ever, showing once again the huge talent that this country has to offer the global car business.
Taking the number one spot for 2015 – and inducted into the Auto Express Hall of Fame – is General Motors’ executive vice president and president, North America, Alan Batey. Batey began his career at GM in 1979 as an engineering apprentice with Vauxhall in Luton.
Since then he’s been around the world working in Germany, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, Korea and Australia. Now he’s based in Detroit with responsibility for sales and service in the US for all of GM’s brands in its home market, while also leading Chevrolet globally.
Such has been Batey’s success that in what threatened to have been a nightmare year in 2014 – with recalls and other issues that could have tarnished GM for good – sales in the US actually went up. That also helped boost the company’s profits, as did the work Batey has put into GM in China – he sits on the board of GM China’s joint venture with Shanghai Motor Corporation. And despite the fact that Chevrolet’s mainstream models are disappearing from the European market, the brand is putting in a healthy showing across the rest of the world.
It may have been some time since Batey has worked in the UK, but he’s a regular in this country, and Auto Express caught up with him at the recent Goodwood Festival of Speed. “I am delighted and very honoured to receive this award and to be placed alongside some real icons of the British auto world,” he explained.
“Humble and hungry has been my mantra and I can honestly say that after 37 years in the auto business, living and working in nine countries, I am still as passionate and excited today about this business as the day I started.
“Brits have always excelled on the global automotive stage, and there is strong evidence as you look at this year’s list that the bench is deeper than ever. We are recognised as having a strong work ethic and great leadership and communication skills.”
Hall of Fame: Land Rover Defender
For the first time ever, we have inducted a car into the Auto Express Hall of Fame – and there has never been a model sodeserving as the Land Rover Defender.
The iconic 4x4 is 67 years old and the curtain is about to come down on production after a lifetime of achievement. It’s served in the military and been converted into everything from fire engines to royal carriages, while legend says it’s the first thing to cross the desert after a camel – everyone has a Defender story to tell. But perhaps its biggest achievement is to make it so far with so little change to the original design – testament to how right it was on day one.
Age is not the only milestone, because the two-millionth model recently rolled off the production line on Lode Lane in Solihull – first the Series I, then Series II and III, and finally Defender. And Auto Express’ editor-in-chief Steve Fowler was invited along to play a part.
Before hitting the factory line, our man caught up with Jaguar Land Rover engineering director, Nick Rogers, to find out how the car has lasted so long.
Rogers learnt to drive in a Series II on his father’s farm aged nine and now, after 31 years with the company, is charged with replacing this most iconic of cars. “The beauty of the Defender is everything’s there for a purpose,” he said. “On a Series I you can’t find anything that’s not needed. That’s perfect minimalist design. “Today, using aluminium in cars is advanced, yet when the Series I was made in the forties steel was under ration and aluminium wasn’t – and there was lots of aluminium around as it was used for building Spitfires.”
Fowler worked with 21-year-old production associate Carlton Heath to fit the wiring assembly into the roof of the car, before also fitting the famed alpine lights – darkened glass panels that sit in the roof side panels of Defenders.
The bespoke model 2,000,000 is due to be auctioned off by Bonhams on 16 December, shortly before production of this generation of Defender at Solihull ends for good. Proceeds from the sale will go towards the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and the Born Free Foundation.
A replacement for the Defender is due to go on sale in 2018. It’s got a great deal to live up to – it’s doubtful the world will ever see a car with such global impact as the Land Rover Defender.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015 - currently readingWe've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender