City car of the year 2015: Skoda Citigo
The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
For the fourth time in a row the Skoda Citigo has scooped our Best City Car award. The mix of cute looks, a spacious cabin, efficient engines and great value for money ensures that even newer cars such as Hyundai’s practical and upmarket i10 and the quirky but clever Renault Twingo have to settle for best of the rest.
For such a small car the Citigo is impressively refined, while the solid cabin and compliant suspension mean it feels more grown-up from behind the wheel than its size might suggest. As a result it’s great in its natural habitat, soaking up bumps and potholes around town without sending shockwaves through the structure. This relaxed ride ensures it’s also surprisingly good on long journeys. Even the entry-level 1.0-litre has enough punch to carry the Citigo along at motorway speeds, with a smooth power delivery.
It might have only four seats, but there’s plenty of room, and the Citigo’s 251-litre boot shames some cars from the class above. With a five-door option there’s no shortage of practicality, and the racier Monte Carlo model adds a sense of sportiness to this king of the urban jungle.
When it comes to kit the Skoda is a strong performer, too. Optional extras such as sat-nav and heated seats can be added for a relatively small outlay that sees the Citigo rival more expensive superminis for equipment in an affordable package.
Prices start from £8,275, and with many efficient models you won’t have to pay road tax. Low insurance ratings are the cherry on top and mean the Citigo will be incredibly cost-effective to run, which is why this smart-looking, practical and comfortable city car is still the best in its class.
Citigo SE L 1.0 75 Greentech (£10,465)
Plenty of big-car technology on this top trim level means the Skoda feels even more grown-up inside. Although the SE L specification isn’t the cheapest available, it has even more of a premium feel than lesser versions and matches the mature driving experience.
Downsized engines may have helped efficiency, but the latest i10’s upsized dimensions mean massive practicality, making it a superb city car. It’s more upmarket inside, more spacious and is still cheap to run, but it can’t match the Citigo’s polished drive and diverse line-up. However, Hyundai’s five-year warranty is a big draw.
The rear-engined, rear-wheel-drive Twingo turned the city car sector on its head. It’s a funky-looking, versatile, chic choice that can easily cut it against more conventional competitors. The four-seater Renault is a real breath of fresh air, with plenty of customisation options that give it a big dose of personality.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
in association with
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015 - currently readingThe Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended