MPV of the Year 2015: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso
The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
With its futuristic design, advanced in-car technology and host of family friendly features, the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso takes the Best MPV title for the second year on the spin. It manages to inject a healthy dose of style to the people carrier class, but the dramatic exterior doesn’t come at the expense of versatility, as the car features five individually folding back seats.
This allows you to play with the seating layouts, while stowing them all flat creates 2,181 litres of load space. Plus, the panoramic windscreen and the high roofline provide a great sense of space, so even back seat occupants won’t feel hemmed in. Up front, the split-level displays control all the major cabin functions. The lower panel is a touchscreen, while above it the large TFT screen has crystal-clear graphics in full colour.
Passengers are treated to limo levels of luxury, too, with the front passenger seat offering a reclining function with a leg rest, while all the seats feature plushly padded headrests. The Picasso feels more spacious and airy than its rivals, too, thanks in no small part to that massive glass area. The vast panoramic windscreen features large sun visors that roll back to reveal a great view of the sky overhead.
Thankfully, this luxury feel isn’t spoiled when you’re on the move, as the car is a relaxed and refined cruiser with a soft ride and quiet engine. There’s decent performance, too, yet the BlueHDi diesels offer great economy for such a large car. Plus, there’s now a slick new six-speed auto gearbox that replaces the automated manual.
And if you don’t need seven seats but want the Citroen’s style and well packaged interior, there’s the option of the standard five-seat Picasso.
Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 BlueHDi Exclusive (£24,750) This flagship Exclusive is packed with goodies, including air-con controls for all three rows of seats, tinted back windows and a large, 12-inch colour display for the dash. Citroen’s latest BlueHDi diesel engine delivers decent economy along with excellent pulling power.
BMW 2 Series Active Tourer
The controversial Active Tourer has introduced front-wheel drive to the BMW 2 Series range, yet is still an agile and efficient performer; and the front-drive layout means the cabin offers all the versatility a family will need. Plus, alongside the five-seater Active Tourer, there’s a seven-seat Gran Tourer model.
The SEAT Alhambra won’t exactly set the world on fire with its looks, but it’s still a front-runner in the large MPV class thanks to its vast interior, seven full-size seats and handy sliding doors that provide unrivalled access. It’s also good to drive, while a recent update has seen the range offer greater value for money than ever.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender