MPV of the Year 2015: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso
The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
With its futuristic design, advanced in-car technology and host of family friendly features, the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso takes the Best MPV title for the second year on the spin. It manages to inject a healthy dose of style to the people carrier class, but the dramatic exterior doesn’t come at the expense of versatility, as the car features five individually folding back seats.
This allows you to play with the seating layouts, while stowing them all flat creates 2,181 litres of load space. Plus, the panoramic windscreen and the high roofline provide a great sense of space, so even back seat occupants won’t feel hemmed in. Up front, the split-level displays control all the major cabin functions. The lower panel is a touchscreen, while above it the large TFT screen has crystal-clear graphics in full colour.
Passengers are treated to limo levels of luxury, too, with the front passenger seat offering a reclining function with a leg rest, while all the seats feature plushly padded headrests. The Picasso feels more spacious and airy than its rivals, too, thanks in no small part to that massive glass area. The vast panoramic windscreen features large sun visors that roll back to reveal a great view of the sky overhead.
Thankfully, this luxury feel isn’t spoiled when you’re on the move, as the car is a relaxed and refined cruiser with a soft ride and quiet engine. There’s decent performance, too, yet the BlueHDi diesels offer great economy for such a large car. Plus, there’s now a slick new six-speed auto gearbox that replaces the automated manual.
And if you don’t need seven seats but want the Citroen’s style and well packaged interior, there’s the option of the standard five-seat Picasso.
Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 BlueHDi Exclusive (£24,750) This flagship Exclusive is packed with goodies, including air-con controls for all three rows of seats, tinted back windows and a large, 12-inch colour display for the dash. Citroen’s latest BlueHDi diesel engine delivers decent economy along with excellent pulling power.
BMW 2 Series Active Tourer
The controversial Active Tourer has introduced front-wheel drive to the BMW 2 Series range, yet is still an agile and efficient performer; and the front-drive layout means the cabin offers all the versatility a family will need. Plus, alongside the five-seater Active Tourer, there’s a seven-seat Gran Tourer model.
The SEAT Alhambra won’t exactly set the world on fire with its looks, but it’s still a front-runner in the large MPV class thanks to its vast interior, seven full-size seats and handy sliding doors that provide unrivalled access. It’s also good to drive, while a recent update has seen the range offer greater value for money than ever.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended