Executive Car of the Year 2015: Audi A6
The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
Last year’s best executive car holds on to its crown for 2015. Small updates helped the Audi A6 to reclaim the title from the BMW 5 Series in 2014, but there have been even more revisions in the past 12 months to further strengthen the car’s appeal.
New headlights give it a more attractive look, but the biggest updates are under the skin, where Le Mans-winning diesel tech helps the A6 deliver low running costs.
Best of the bunch is the 2.0 TDI Ultra, with 64mpg and 114g/km, or 67.3mpg and 109g/km if you go for the seven-speed S tronic twin-clutch auto box. It’s impressive that such a big car as the A6 Ultra manages these figures, but even more appealing is that it demands no driving compromises. The 187bhp diesel is a punchy and refined performer, while the S tronic auto’s smooth shifts make the most of the power.
Want more muscle? The larger-capacity 3.0 TDI and 3.0 BiTDI pack plenty of punch, and both are offered with quattro four-wheel drive for added security in the wet. For even greater performance, the S6 and RS6 Avant deliver supercar-rivalling straight-line ability.
Whatever you go for, the A6 promises limo-style comfort with a sporty edge, so it’s a relaxing and refined executive, while Audi offers plenty of advanced safety kit and tech. It also feels like a car from the class above inside, thanks to its unrivalled style, top materials and flawless quality. A cut above the corporate competition.
A6 2.0 TDI Ultra SE S tronic (£33,825)
ultra sub-brand showcases Audi’s cutting-edge fuel-saving tech, and while this model is the entry point to the A6 range, you won’t feel short-changed, either by the performance or the kit. There are plenty of options to choose from, too, to build your perfect exec saloon.
BMW 5 Series
If focused driving dynamics are your priority, then the 5 Series remains a top choice for executive travel. The BMW handles with the agility of a far smaller car, but it still has the equipment you’d expect from an executive saloon – and EfficientDynamics tech means the 520d is an efficient performer.
Tesla Model S
There’s nothing else like the Model S. Its hushed electric drive and spacious cabin mean it’s relaxed and refined, while searing straight-line acceleration will take passengers by surprise. Battery range shouldn’t be an issue for most journeys, and Tesla’s free Supercharger network means longer trips are possible, too.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender