Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015: Mitsubishi L200
The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
The Mitsubishi is now in its fifth generation, and this model adds car-like sophistication, driving dynamics and running costs to its predecessor’s long list of standard kit and attractive prices. It looks more upmarket, too, with flowing lines, distinctive LED running lights and a bold chrome grille.
Inside, you get a slickly designed and robustly constructed cabin that comfortably takes five adults. And with dual-zone climate control, touchscreen infotainment, lane-departure warning and powered, leather seats, it’s as cosseting as a posh SUV.
Under the bonnet is an innovative, all-aluminium 2.4-litre diesel that pumps out 178bhp and a muscular 430Nm of torque. Paired with a surprisingly slick six-speed manual gearbox, the new unit delivers strong performance and refinement.
Head off the beaten track and the four-wheel-drive transmission can be engaged with a twist of a rotary control, while a low-range function allows the L200 to explore parts other trucks can’t reach.
Stick to the tarmac and you’ll discover quick, direct steering, limited body roll and a composed ride. And with claimed economy of 43.0mpg and CO2 emissions of 169g/km, the Mitsubishi is easy on the bottom line, too, while a combined carrying and towing capacity of 4.1 tonnes is the best for any pick-up.
Warrior 2.4D (£23,049 ex VAT)
The mid-range Warrior effortlessly mixes the composed driving experience, classier looks and long kit list of an SUV with a keen price and low running costs. The punchy 178bhp 2.4-litre diesel is the L200’s only engine option, but it’s a quiet, frugal performer for such a large pick-up.
Distinctive looks, sharp, car-like handling and attractive pricing make the Ford a firm favourite in this class. It’s not the last word in mechanical sophistication, but the rugged Ranger is well up to the rough and tumble of working life, especially if you go for the big-capacity 3.2 TDCi diesel, while Wildtrak trim offers SUV levels of kit.
After three years at the top, the versatile VW Amarok has been relegated to a runner’s-up spot. It’s still hard to beat for upmarket kerb appeal, while its interior blends desirability with utility. The VW isn’t cheap to buy, but it’s still the best truck for cutting a dash, and the 2.0 BiTDI twin turbodiesel delivers plenty of pulling power.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
in association with
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended