Supermini of the Year 2015: Volkswagen Polo
The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
Twelve months is a long time in the supermini class, especially since 2014’s awards. With the launch of new or updated cars over the past year from Hyundai, Vauxhall, Mazda, Skoda, Kia and Volkswagen, among others, finding a winner in this closely fought category proved to be one of our toughest decisions.
However, when it came down to the fine details, the Polo scooped the honours thanks to its upmarket quality, grown-up driving manners and range of efficient yet responsive engines. The VW was given minor cosmetic changes last year, but the interior and engines were more thoroughly updated.
Inside, the dash now gets the same infotainment touchscreen as the Golf, giving the cabin an edge for user-friendliness to complement its soft-touch plastics and high-quality switchgear.
On the road, the Polo delivers an excellent mix of refined comfort and polished dynamics. Its suspension soaks up bumps with ease, while the cabin is hushed even at motorway speeds. In corners there’s plenty of grip, and the Polo is enjoyable to drive, thanks in part to the punchy delivery of its petrol and diesel turbos.
As a bonus, these give class-leading efficiency, while buyers looking to save even more can choose between super-efficient BlueMotion petrol or diesel models.
With cutting-edge safety kit like adaptive cruise control, LED headlamps and autonomous emergency braking, it’s no surprise the Polo is now cream of the supermini crop.
Polo 1.2 TSI 90 SE 5dr (£14,410)
Go for 1.2 turbo petrol power and you’ll get a good balance between performance and running costs, while SE specification includes the smart touchscreen infotainment system with a multifunction steering wheel, MP3 player connection and Bluetooth.
While rivals turn to turbos to improve their efficiency, the new Mazda 2 focuses on lightweight construction to reduce emissions and increase economy. A bonus of this weight saving is that it delivers entertaining handling, so the Mazda 2 is a lot of fun on twisty roads while still delivering excellent economy.
The third-generation Fabia takes a major step forward in terms of design, while cabin quality and driving dynamics are equally impressive. Add in the same range of punchy yet efficient petrol and diesel engines as the Polo, and it’s no wonder that the Fabia is Commended in the closely fought supermini sector.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender