Estate Car of the Year 2015: Volkswagen Passat Estate
The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
It’s no longer enough for the best estate cars to simply have a bigger boot than their rivals; they also need plenty of user-friendly touches to stand out. Thankfully, the VW Passat Estate has all bases covered, as it boasts a class-leading 650-litre boot that incorporates lots of neat features to make the most of the space available.
Standard kit includes a lightweight boot floor that can easily be positioned low for maximum space or high for a flat floor when you’ve got the back seats folded down. The floor is also hinged for use as a divider, while the load cover rolls back to one of two positions. And if you’re not using the cover, there are handy slots where you can stow it. Levers in the boot fold the back seats completely flat, too, while VW offers the option of hands-free boot opening by sweeping your foot under the back bumper.
But there’s more to the Passat than a practical boot, as it has bags of space for rear passengers and the top-quality cabin provides an executive feel.Air vent trim stretching across the dash adds a bold look, while the analogue clock is a classy touch. The Passat has a range of efficient and refined diesel engines, which offer low running costs for private and business buyers alike; plus, the car is involving to drive on back roads. It also looks good and feels superbly built. So, if you want to win the space race, look no further than this versatile VW.
Passat 2.0 TDI SE Business (£26,790) It’s geared towards fleet users, but the SE Business Passat is an equally attractive proposition for private customers. It comes with plenty of equipment, including sat-nav, adaptive cruise control and front and rear parking sensors, while the 148bhp 2.0-litre TDI diesel engine is punchy yet economical.
SEAT Leon ST
Last year’s category winner is still our favourite compact family estate. What it lacks in outright capacity it makes up for with practical touches, including a two-level boot floor and seat folding levers in the boot. Plus, there’s now more choice than ever, with the flagship X-Perience crossover and Cupra performance models.
Skoda Octavia Estate
IF you want maximum space per pound in your load-lugger, then the Skoda Octavia Estate still offers excellent value for money. The 610-litre boot is one of the biggest on offer, so will accommodate just about anything you throw at it, and with prices starting from £17,400, you get an awful lot of car for your money.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended