Coupe of the Year 2015: Audi TT
The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
Audi’s third-generation TT lives up to its predecessors’ billing as a style icon, but is more focused and better to drive than ever – which makes it our Coupé of the Year.
You can tell the TT’s special as soon as you see it. The combination of curves and creases creates a shape unlike anything else on the road, while the signature matrix LED lights complement the cutting-edge design.
The hi-tech feel continues at the wheel, thanks to the minimalist dash and impressive Virtual Cockpit. This comprises a 12.3-inch digital display, which shows the dials but also includes all other functions, from the sat-nav to the multimedia system and vehicle settings. That clears the dash of many buttons, leaving only a few essential switches, the climate controls integrated into the air vents and the intuitive MMI controller to navigate the Virtual Cockpit.
While the TT’s a study in design, a focused drive backs it up. Whichever one you go for, lightweight construction – it features the same MQB platform as the latest VW Golf and SEAT Leon – helps deliver entertaining handling, and the punchy petrols and diesels are as economical as they are fast.
At the top of the range, the TTS has immense grip thanks to its standard quattro 4WD, while adaptive dampers make the most of the nimble chassis. Combine this sharp handling with rocketship acceleration from the 306bhp 2.0-litre turbo, and it’s one of the most entertaining drivers’ cars Audi has ever produced.
TT 2.0 TFSI Sport (£29,915)
Keep it simple – the Audi TT Coupé is a great all-rounder, with plenty of performance, decent refinement and reasonable economy, too. What’s more, that stylish hatchback tailgate opens to reveal a surprisingly practical luggage area.
Last year’s winner is still at the top of its game, thanks to its catwalk-fresh looks and a range of punchy engines. And the Jaguar coupé has been made even more attractive thanks to a manual transmission option and four-wheel drive to give added security to the F-Type’s already-eager handling.
The Cayman is still one of the best all-round sports cars you can buy at any price. In both GTS and new GT4 guises it’s nipping at the heels of the bigger 911 for performance, yet even the standard model will put a smile on your face thanks to its beautifully balanced mid-engined layout and throaty flat-six.
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender