Family Car of the Year 2015: Skoda Superb
The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
Skoda’s charge upmarket continues with the new Superb, and the result is just that. This is the marque’s most stylish, refined car ever, and its combination of great design, quality and – importantly – price puts it ahead of its closest rival, the Volkswagen Passat.
Imposing angular looks replace the previous Superb’s curvier styling, and the cabin feels much slicker, with kit you’d expect from cars costing twice as much.
But those talents are more than simply skin deep, as with a range of powerful and efficient diesels – teamed with a relaxing, refined chassis – it’s hushed on the move and can rival many luxury cars for comfort. There’s a choice of petrol engines as well, but the 148bhp 2.0 TDI is the pick, with plenty of torque and strong efficiency for a car this big. It’ll cruise in cut-price luxury, but it’s agile too, because it’s up to 75kg lighter than before.
It’s even bigger inside, though, and serves up limo-like comfort and an impressive ride. As well as keeping the old car’s vast amount of rear legroom, there’s also now even more headroom. The ‘twindoor’ split tailgate has been dropped in favour of a huge hatch opening that reveals a 625-litre boot – and if you want more space but as much grace, an estate will be along later this year.
With its dazzling quality and incredible flexibility, plus aggressive pricing that undercuts rivals by some margin, the Superb’s grip on the family class will be tough to break.
Superb 2.0 TDI SE Business (£22,090) WITH loads of equipment, a punchy engine and a vast interior, the Superb SE Business is great value and costs £3,150 less than the equivalent Volkswagen Passat. Business users and private buyers alike will love the striking design and frugal running costs.
Last year’s winner is as good as ever thanks to a mid-life refresh that tweaked the exterior design and moved the cabin upmarket. Gone is the chunky dashboard, and in its place is a sleeker facia with even more tech and improved material quality. Yet the fun driving dynamics and low running costs remain.
Now in its eighth generation, the Passat is more luxurious than ever. Based on the company’s versatile MQB platform, withVW’s typically solid build quality, it’s agile and enjoyable to drive, but cosseting and efficient when cruising. A 586-litre boot and plenty of equipment mean it covers all bases.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender