Family Car of the Year 2015: Skoda Superb
The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
Skoda’s charge upmarket continues with the new Superb, and the result is just that. This is the marque’s most stylish, refined car ever, and its combination of great design, quality and – importantly – price puts it ahead of its closest rival, the Volkswagen Passat.
Imposing angular looks replace the previous Superb’s curvier styling, and the cabin feels much slicker, with kit you’d expect from cars costing twice as much.
But those talents are more than simply skin deep, as with a range of powerful and efficient diesels – teamed with a relaxing, refined chassis – it’s hushed on the move and can rival many luxury cars for comfort. There’s a choice of petrol engines as well, but the 148bhp 2.0 TDI is the pick, with plenty of torque and strong efficiency for a car this big. It’ll cruise in cut-price luxury, but it’s agile too, because it’s up to 75kg lighter than before.
It’s even bigger inside, though, and serves up limo-like comfort and an impressive ride. As well as keeping the old car’s vast amount of rear legroom, there’s also now even more headroom. The ‘twindoor’ split tailgate has been dropped in favour of a huge hatch opening that reveals a 625-litre boot – and if you want more space but as much grace, an estate will be along later this year.
With its dazzling quality and incredible flexibility, plus aggressive pricing that undercuts rivals by some margin, the Superb’s grip on the family class will be tough to break.
Superb 2.0 TDI SE Business (£22,090) WITH loads of equipment, a punchy engine and a vast interior, the Superb SE Business is great value and costs £3,150 less than the equivalent Volkswagen Passat. Business users and private buyers alike will love the striking design and frugal running costs.
Last year’s winner is as good as ever thanks to a mid-life refresh that tweaked the exterior design and moved the cabin upmarket. Gone is the chunky dashboard, and in its place is a sleeker facia with even more tech and improved material quality. Yet the fun driving dynamics and low running costs remain.
Now in its eighth generation, the Passat is more luxurious than ever. Based on the company’s versatile MQB platform, withVW’s typically solid build quality, it’s agile and enjoyable to drive, but cosseting and efficient when cruising. A 586-litre boot and plenty of equipment mean it covers all bases.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended