Green Car of the Year 2015: BMW i3
The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
It’s testament to the advanced design of the i3 that it picks up our Green Award for the second year running. BMW’s city runabout is at the cutting edge of electric car technology, with a host of advanced features showcasing exactly what the company’s engineers can do when given a free rein to maximise efficiency. But perhaps what’s even better is that the i3 is easily one of the most user-friendly electric cars on sale today.
The one-box design marks it out as unlike any other BMW, and clever packaging means there’s lots of space inside. The back doors are rear hinged so there’s a wide opening which makes it incredibly easy to get in and out. Driving is a simple matter of pressing the start button and putting the column-mounted shifter into drive.
The skinny tyres have been designed with efficiency in mind, so while the i3 isn’t as sharp as BMW’s sports models, it’s nimble enough for city duties. Plus, the batteries are mounted low to keep handling sharp. The i3 really is all the car you’ll ever need if you’re in town, but BMW also offers the option of the i3 Range Extender if you find yourself far from a charging point. However, plan your charging stops right and you may never hear the petrol motor fire into life.
Last year we claimed that driving an i3 is like driving the future, and this statement rings just as true today as it did 12 months ago.
i3 with Range Extender (£29,310 inc £5k grant)
The i3 range extender offers the best of both worlds. It has the same 168bhp electric motor and 100-mile range, and looks and feels as special as the regular car. But a two-cylinder generator kicks in when the batteries run flat. No range anxiety; no compromises.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
The Plug-in Hybrid Outlander is a bit of a renaissance car for Mitsubishi. Its attractive mix of low-emission petrol-electric drive and a versatile SUV body is unique in the hybrid class. As a result, Outlander sales have gone through the roof, which has helped to attract new buyers to the brand.
Peugeot 208 BlueHDi
Peugeot’s 208 BlueHDi is a testament to car makers who, faced with ever-tightening regulations, have gone to great lengths to clean up emissions. While electric hybrids lead the way, the 208 powered by the 1.6 BlueHDi diesel can still go as low as 79g/km, which is an astonishing figure.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended