Luxury Car of the Year 2015: Mercedes S-Class
The Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
Its predecessor managed to win the Best Luxury Car crown for seven years on the trot, and the current Mercedes S-Class could easily repeat that feat, as it scoops this award for a second year.
The S-Class is a luxurious place to spend time, with acres of room in the back and plenty of classy touches, while standard air-suspension across the range means not many cars are as comfortable or as refined. It also looks the part, thanks to its mix of imposing proportions and neat detailing. And as you’d expect, the fit and finish are top-drawer.
Inside, the Mercedes effortlessly blends cutting- edge design with traditional hand-crafted construction methods. Few cars feel as special, whether you’re at the wheel or in the back. The S-Class also serves as a fantastic showcase for the tech we’ll see in future Mercedes. From the colour TFT instrument cluster to advanced driving technology such as Magic Ride Control suspension and near-autonomous cruise control, the S-Class is a genuine rolling laboratory.
Plus, there are efficient diesel and petrol-electric hybrid versions delivering unlikely efficiency in a luxury limo weighing in excess of two tonnes, while the AMG 63 and 65 serve up performance that belies the car’s sheer size. And if this range of talents isn’t enough, then the return of Maybach in the form of the Mercedes-Maybach S 600 is the icing on the cake. This V12 saloon is fit for presidential duties, with electric reclining climate seats in the back, four-zone climate control and plenty of luxury goodies to keep the most discerning of buyers happy.
S 350 d SE Line L (£67,995)
While the flagship models are a showcase for performance and luxury, even the smallest diesel S-Class has enough of both to appeal. Go for the long-wheelbase version for maximum space, while SE Line models come lavishly equipped, including air-suspension and electric leather seats as standard.
Bentley Mulsanne Speed
The Bentley stands out thanks to its old-school V8 and classically styled interior. The twin-turbo engine has been turned up in the Speed model to deliver stupendous acceleration, although occupants will remain unflustered, thanks to the plush, tailor-made interior.
The latest Range Rover is a fantastic showcase for the British firm, as it’s packed with luxurious kit that places it a notch above the luxury SUV pack. If you prefer to be driven than drive, then the long-wheelbase version offers even more room in the back, but all models have off-road ability that no other luxury car can match.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2015
For complete, in-depth coverage of the New Car Awards 2015, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now...
- 1IntroductionThe winners of the 2015 Auto Express New Car Awards have been announced
- 2Car of the Year 201512 years since the first generation model took the crown, the new Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Car of the Year
- 3City car of the year 2015The Skoda Citigo is the 2015 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Renault Twingo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Polo is the 2015 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Mazda 2 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Premium small Car of the Year 2015The Mini Cooper is the 2015 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Compact family Car of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon is the 2015 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the MINI 5dr and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year 2015The Skoda Superb is the 2015 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 6 and Volkswagen Passat commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year 2015The Volkswagen Passat Estate is the 2015 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the SEAT Leon ST and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year 2015The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2015 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year 2015The Nissan Qashqai is the 2015 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-3 commended
- 11Compact SUV of the Year 2015The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the 2015 Auto Express Compact SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Porsche Macan commended
- 12Large SUV of the Year 2015The Volvo XC90 is the 2015 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Kia Sorento and Range Rover Sport commended
- 13Pick-Up Truck of the Year 2015The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2015 Auto Express Pick-Up Truck of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Volkswagen Amarok commended
- 14Hot Hatch of the Year 2015The SEAT Leon Cupra is the 2015 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 15Convertible of the Year 2015The Audi A3 Cabriolet is the 2015 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the BMW 4 Series and Porsche 911 Convertible commended
- 16Coupe of the Year 2015The Audi TT is the 2015 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Macan commended
- 17Roadster of the Year 2015The Mazda MX-5 is the 2015 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Type and Porsche Boxster commended
- 18Performance Car of the Year 2015The Porsche 911 GTS is the 2015 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the McLaren 650S and Mercedes-AMG GT commended
- 19Compact executive Car of the Year 2015The Jaguar XE is the 2015 Auto Express Compact executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS commended
- 20Executive Car of the Year 2015The Audi A6 is the 2015 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Tesla Model S commended
- 21Luxury Car of the Year 2015 - currently readingThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2015 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne Speed and Range Rover commended
- 22Van of the Year 2015The Ford Transit is Auto Express' Van of the Year 2015, with the Fiat Doblo Cargo and Vauxhall Vivaro commended
- 23Green Car of the Year 2015The BMW i3 is the 2015 Auto Express Green Car of the Year, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Peugeot 208 BlueHDi commended
- 24Technology Award 2015GM's OnStar service wins the Auto Express 2015 Technology Award
- 25Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2015Honda is known for its inventive and captivating adverts, and the latest Civic Type R is no different
- 26Readers' Design Award 2015We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2015, and the new Jaguar XF has taken the crown
- 27Social Media Award 2015Social media is all about interacting with your audience, and we've named Toyota the best social media brand of 2015
- 28Driver Power Award 2015Lexus has long been a force to be reckoned with in our Driver Power survey. This year the brand scoops the Driver Power Award
- 29Hall of Fame 2015We've inducted GM's Executive Vice President and President for North America Alan Batey into our hall of fame, plus the Land Rover Defender