Used Mercedes GLA (Mk1, 2013-2020) review - What should you look out for?
Mercedes has a solid reputation for reliability, but the GLA isn’t without its problems
Despite the premium badge, buying a Mercedes GLA is no guarantee of quality. The fit, finish and materials are excellent, especially on the plush trim levels, but many owners have reported problems with their A-Class. With the two cars sharing many common parts, the GLA is likely to face the same issues.
Common used Mercedes GLA problems
If you can hear an annoying rattle from what sounds like the boot, it’s probably the wiring connector under the folding rear seat.
Key fob On cars with keyless go, the battery in the key fob tends to get exhausted quickly. You can fit a new CR2025 battery on a DIY basis.
Boot The boot latch can release the tailgate of its own accord. This is usually when the car has been left standing unused for a while.
Tyres There’s no provision for a spare wheel because the Mercedes GLA has run-flat tyres.
There have been seven GLA recalls, each also affecting other Mercedes models. The first was in January 2015, because some GLAs could suffer from oil leaks; the next was in August 2015 due to potential airbag failures.
There were three campaigns in November 2015 for cars built between July and September that year because of possible engine failure. Fuel leaks were the reason for the sixth recall in January 2016. The last was in September 2016 due to possible dual-clutch transmission failure.
In this review
- 1Used Mercedes GLA (Mk1, 2013-2020) reviewThe Mercedes GLA combines A-Class engineering with fashionable crossover SUV styling
- 2How much will it cost?The entry-level GLA is cheap to run, although it's more expensive to buy than its rivals
- 3How practical is it?There's a lot of storage space in the GLA's cabin, although passengers may find the car a little cramped
- 4What’s it like to drive?The Mercedes GLA is available with a choice of petrol engines – but it's merely average to drive
- 5What should you look out for? - currently readingMercedes has a solid reputation for reliability, but the GLA isn’t without its problems
- 6What do owners think?Owners are fairly pleased Mercedes GLA's reliability and build quality