Used Mercedes GLA (Mk1, 2013-2020) review - What do owners think?
Owners are fairly pleased Mercedes GLA's reliability and build quality
After a dip in quality in the nineties and early noughties, Mercedes once again produces some of the more reliable cars you can buy.
That being said, in our 2021 Driver Power satisfaction survey, Mercedes ranked 13th out of 29 brands in our manufacturer poll, which isn't particularly indicative of a highly reliable marque. Indeed, Mercedes finished lower than premium rivals such as Jaguar, Lexus, Porsche and Volvo. However, owners reported more issues with cars built by Audi and BMW.
Although the GLA didn’t get into the 2017 or 2018 Driver Power satisfaction surveys, the third-generation A-Class did. It finished 69th in 2017, beaten by the Audi Q3 (13th), Kia Sportage (12th) and Volvo XC60 (ninth). Owners rated the A-Class’s running costs and reliability, but not its engine, gearbox and safety kit. A year later it finished 56th out of 75 cars, with 11 per cent of owners finding a fault within the first year of owning their A-Class.
In this review
- 1Used Mercedes GLA (Mk1, 2013-2020) reviewThe Mercedes GLA combines A-Class engineering with fashionable crossover SUV styling
- 2How much will it cost?The entry-level GLA is cheap to run, although it's more expensive to buy than its rivals
- 3How practical is it?There's a lot of storage space in the GLA's cabin, although passengers may find the car a little cramped
- 4What’s it like to drive?The Mercedes GLA is available with a choice of petrol engines – but it's merely average to drive
- 5What should you look out for?Mercedes has a solid reputation for reliability, but the GLA isn’t without its problems
- 6What do owners think? - currently readingOwners are fairly pleased Mercedes GLA's reliability and build quality