New Car Awards 2018: the winners
What are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
It’s been another amazing 12 months in the automotive industry. Yet again, the pace of progress has wowed us, with the world’s car manufacturers battling each other to keep pace with the expanding, shifting demands of car buyers just like you.
As always seems to be the case, standards which we couldn’t imagine being beaten last year have been surpassed and new benchmarks have been set right across the car market. Whether you’re shopping for a city car or a supercar, the options at your disposal today are clearly advanced from where they were only 12 months ago. Technology, safety, performance, efficiency, comfort, space, design, value; new cars just never stop advancing and keeping up with the pace of change isn’t easy. That is where we come in.
The Auto Express team has put in the hard miles over the last 12 months to analyse every aspect of every new car on sale. The cars that get our annual New Car Awards are the very best of their type and are well worthy of a place on your car buying shortlist. Choosing them has been tougher than ever this year but we’re confident that these cars are the absolute cream of the current crop.
Click the links below or at the top left of this page to discover our 2018 New Car Awards winners and highly commended models in each category. You can also look back at the previous winners of the New Car Awards...
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
New Car Awards 2018: live
The 2018 New Car Awards ceremony took place at the Hilton Bankside in London and we brought you live coverage of the event on our social media channels. Get a flavour for the event below, where you’ll find our Twitter feed
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1Introduction - currently readingWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended